Tracy McGrady says he considered using performance enhancing drugs

Oct 20, 2013, 6:30 PM EST

Tracy McGrady retired this summer following a 15-year NBA career that will in all likelihood land him in the Hall of Fame.

There was a point in McGrady’s journey, however, where injuries started to cloud how well he could perform long before he decided to hang ‘em up. And there was a time where he considered all options to get back to the player he once was physically.

Appearing on NBA TV’s Open Court, McGrady was very candid in discussing how he felt after struggling to rehabilitate fully from a knee injury, to the point where he admits to considering the use of performance enhancing drugs.

“I’ve never said this to nobody,” McGrady said. “Because I was playing at such a high level for so many years, and when I had my knee injury, I was doing everything in my will power to get back to that level. Naturally, I couldn’t do it. Because I just didn’t have the strength, I didn’t have the confidence, and I just didn’t believe that I was going to get there doing it naturally.

“I actually considered — I considered — getting an advantage. And whatever that was, doing it illegally … I considered that to get back.”

McGrady’s honesty is refreshing here, and you have to wonder just how many other players out there have had similar thoughts cross their mind.

[h/t: Sports Grid, via HoopsHype]

Latest Posts
  1. Spurs’ Kawhi Leonard has torn ligament in right hand, return unclear

Dec 19, 2014, 7:25 PM EST

Kawhi Leonard AP

Leonard was the Finals MVP for San Antonio last season.

2. Kevin Durant to sit out vs. Lakers with ankle sprain

Dec 19, 2014, 6:35 PM EST

Oklahoma City Thunder v Golden State Warriors Getty Images

This is the smart move by the Thunder.

3. Kendrick Perkins: Rajon Rondo wanted out of Boston

Dec 19, 2014, 5:59 PM EST

Orlando Magic v Boston Celtics, Game 6 Getty Images

It’s kind of moot now, but it’s not a surprise.

4. Kobe Bryant says he’s not recruiting Kevin Durant to Lakers. Yet?

Dec 19, 2014, 5:15 PM EST

Kobe Bryant, Kevin Durant AP

Lakers star: ‘If the opportunity came up, then that’s the time to have that discussion’

5. Raptors unveil new logo, get ribbed by Nets’ official Twitter account about it

Dec 19, 2014, 4:29 PM EST

Nets v Raptors Eastern Conference Quarter Finals Game 7 Getty Images

Black-and-white version of Toronto’s new logo looks similar to Brooklyn’s

6. Report: Minnesota agrees to trade Corey Brewer to Houston

Dec 19, 2014, 2:56 PM EST

Minnesota Timberwolves v Brooklyn Nets Getty Images

This gives the Rockets a little more depth on the wing with Harden and Ariza.

7. Kevin Durant (ankle injury) game-time decision vs. Lakers

Dec 19, 2014, 2:15 PM EST

Oklahoma City Thunder v Golden State Warriors Getty Images

Thunder star sprained ankle against Warriors

8. Report: Mavericks targeting Jermaine O’Neal to replace Brandan Wright

Dec 19, 2014, 1:04 PM EST

Golden State Warriors v Dallas Mavericks Getty Images

Sending Wright to the Celtics leaves major hole at backup center

9. Report: Mavericks “confident” they can re-sign Rajon Rondo

Dec 19, 2014, 12:28 PM EST

rondomavs

Mark Cuban is too smart to pull the trigger on this kind of deal unless he has word he can keep his man.

10. Report: Hornets pull Lance Stephenson off trade block

Dec 19, 2014, 11:51 AM EST

Charlotte Hornets v Miami Heat Getty Images

Heat and Nets among teams that showed interest

11. Mark Cuban finalized Rajon Rondo trade while on set for The Colbert Report finale

Dec 19, 2014, 11:15 AM EST

Mavericks owner, one of many celebrities singing off Stephen Colbert, had his priorities in line

12. Carmelo Anthony turning down the Bulls was a blessing in disguise for Chicago

Dec 19, 2014, 10:15 AM EST

Carmelo Anthony Carmelo Anthony

The Bulls are better off with their depth and flexibility.

13. Draymond Green ruins Stephen Curry’s behind-the-back highlight (video)

Dec 19, 2014, 9:08 AM EST

Oklahoma City Thunder v Golden State Warriors Oklahoma City Thunder v Golden State Warriors

Warriors forward blows dunk, does everything else right in win over Thunder

Jabari Parker injury latest for disappointing rookie class
Top 10 NBA Player Searches