Oct 20, 2013, 9:30 PM EDT
The Pistons hired Maurice Cheeks as head coach this summer, but before he was able to coach a single game of meaning, the former player was forced to deal with a domestic dispute situation that involved questioning by police.
The details, like most in these types of situations, were relatively ugly. And although Cheeks wasn’t charged with a crime and likely won’t be in the future, as a leader in the organization his reputation can’t help but take a bit of a hit.
Cheeks addressed the situation for the first time at the Pistons practice facility on Saturday.
From Vince Ellis of USA Today:
“No. 1, there’s always a little bit of embarrassment when something like that happens, right or wrong, there’s always some embarrassment,” Cheeks said Saturday at the Pistons practice facility. “For myself, who has always prided himself on being a high character person, it definitely is an embarrassment.
“But it happened, right or wrong, and I’m moving on.”
According to the report, the investigation was triggered when the woman called 911 after a confrontation with Cheeks. The woman, visiting from Atlanta, told Birmingham police that she confronted Cheeks after finding a glass in the dishwater rimmed with another woman’s lipstick.
She accused Cheeks of being physical with her, but Cheeks denied he was violent. He was arrested, but she became uncooperative and went back to Atlanta. She later said she did not want the department to pursue charges.
Again, no charges filed and no convictions.
It’s unfortunate that Cheeks’ personal life became a news story. Embarrassing to deal with indeed, but that’s apparently going to be the extent of these allegations.
- Why I am going to miss Steve Nash 26
- Victor Oladipo out indefinitely after taking elbow in practice, suffering facial fracture 13
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: New Orleans Pelicans 9
- Five teams poised to make a big leap forward this season 5
- Steve Nash to miss entire 2014-15 season with ongoing back injuries 69
- Jeanie Buss: ‘Any free agent that would be afraid to play with Kobe Bryant is probably a loser’ 71
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Memphis Grizzlies 8
- Five top candidates for NBA Rookie of the Year 30