Oct 20, 2013, 9:30 PM EDT
The Pistons hired Maurice Cheeks as head coach this summer, but before he was able to coach a single game of meaning, the former player was forced to deal with a domestic dispute situation that involved questioning by police.
The details, like most in these types of situations, were relatively ugly. And although Cheeks wasn’t charged with a crime and likely won’t be in the future, as a leader in the organization his reputation can’t help but take a bit of a hit.
Cheeks addressed the situation for the first time at the Pistons practice facility on Saturday.
From Vince Ellis of USA Today:
“No. 1, there’s always a little bit of embarrassment when something like that happens, right or wrong, there’s always some embarrassment,” Cheeks said Saturday at the Pistons practice facility. “For myself, who has always prided himself on being a high character person, it definitely is an embarrassment.
“But it happened, right or wrong, and I’m moving on.”
According to the report, the investigation was triggered when the woman called 911 after a confrontation with Cheeks. The woman, visiting from Atlanta, told Birmingham police that she confronted Cheeks after finding a glass in the dishwater rimmed with another woman’s lipstick.
She accused Cheeks of being physical with her, but Cheeks denied he was violent. He was arrested, but she became uncooperative and went back to Atlanta. She later said she did not want the department to pursue charges.
Again, no charges filed and no convictions.
It’s unfortunate that Cheeks’ personal life became a news story. Embarrassing to deal with indeed, but that’s apparently going to be the extent of these allegations.
- Anthony Davis steps into spotlight, is Team USA’s lynchpin 16
- Referee Violet Palmer comes out publicly as gay 39
- Report: Cavaliers last team standing in Kevin Love trade talks 85
- Pat Riley says he didn’t think LeBron was leaving, Heat can turn around quickly 56
- Coach K on Rose: “Derrick’s played great, not good, and hasn’t held anything back” 30
- Report: Anthony Bennett pulled from pro-am by agent, possibly due to his inclusion in Kevin Love trade talks 43
- Report: Sixers fighting against immediate changes to NBA Draft Lottery system 59
- Team USA going small ball, but how many bigs do they keep on the bench? 4