Oct 20, 2013, 9:30 PM EDT
The Pistons hired Maurice Cheeks as head coach this summer, but before he was able to coach a single game of meaning, the former player was forced to deal with a domestic dispute situation that involved questioning by police.
The details, like most in these types of situations, were relatively ugly. And although Cheeks wasn’t charged with a crime and likely won’t be in the future, as a leader in the organization his reputation can’t help but take a bit of a hit.
Cheeks addressed the situation for the first time at the Pistons practice facility on Saturday.
From Vince Ellis of USA Today:
“No. 1, there’s always a little bit of embarrassment when something like that happens, right or wrong, there’s always some embarrassment,” Cheeks said Saturday at the Pistons practice facility. “For myself, who has always prided himself on being a high character person, it definitely is an embarrassment.
“But it happened, right or wrong, and I’m moving on.”
According to the report, the investigation was triggered when the woman called 911 after a confrontation with Cheeks. The woman, visiting from Atlanta, told Birmingham police that she confronted Cheeks after finding a glass in the dishwater rimmed with another woman’s lipstick.
She accused Cheeks of being physical with her, but Cheeks denied he was violent. He was arrested, but she became uncooperative and went back to Atlanta. She later said she did not want the department to pursue charges.
Again, no charges filed and no convictions.
It’s unfortunate that Cheeks’ personal life became a news story. Embarrassing to deal with indeed, but that’s apparently going to be the extent of these allegations.
- Report: Kevin Durant considering Knicks, being recruited by Carmelo Anthony 38
- Markieff Morris: “My future will not be in Phoenix” 33
- Shaq tells Suzy Shuster he, Kobe Bryant could have tied Jordan’s six titles 33
- Dwight Howard tried to take loaded gun through airport security, will not face charges 52
- Will Miami make a run at Kevin Durant? 17
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 7
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 10
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18