Oct 20, 2013, 8:03 PM EDT
We knew this was coming.
After the Clippers redecorated Staples Center by putting up large images of their own players over the space on the wall where all of the Lakers’ championship banners and retired jerseys reside, comments from the Lakers were to be expected.
But most, wisely, couldn’t care less about how the Clippers decorate the gym when the Lakers aren’t the designated home team. One of the Lakers’ newest players, however, seemed to take exception.
“He can do that?” Young said after Lakers practice Sunday, the team’s first since returning from China. “For real? That’s disrespectful. We got to talk to Doc. He can’t have that. We got to do something about that.”
The Clippers revealed their Staples Center redecoration at their preseason game Friday, as they plastered giant posters of players Chris Paul,Blake Griffin, DeAndre Jordan, Jamal Crawford, Matt Barnes, Jared Dudley and J.J. Redick over the Lakers’ 16 championship banners and 10 retired uniforms.
“That’s a lot of pull y’all are giving Doc,” Young continued, somewhat facetiously. “I think he shouldn’t come in and have so much pull like that. He’s got to earn his keep.”
When a reporter argued that Rivers’ championship resume from his time with the Boston Celtics should give the coach the credence to do so, Young retorted, “But he didn’t win no title in L.A. That’s where it’s at. Look at all these banners in here, you can’t shadow those up.”
Nick Young hasn’t yet won anything in his career, either.
Young’s Lakers pride is adorable, but the more tenured players have more perspective. The reality is that the Clippers should have done something like this a long time ago — short of winning banners themselves, the least they can do is make their home court a place all their own, without being constantly reminded of how far they have to go to become a historically well-respected NBA franchise.
- Will Miami make a run at Kevin Durant? 6
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 6
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 10
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 27
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 4
- Jim Buss defends Byron Scott as Lakers coach, “He has the Laker blood in him” 24
- Jim Buss open to the idea of Kobe Bryant playing beyond this season 32