Oct 20, 2013, 8:03 PM EST
We knew this was coming.
After the Clippers redecorated Staples Center by putting up large images of their own players over the space on the wall where all of the Lakers’ championship banners and retired jerseys reside, comments from the Lakers were to be expected.
But most, wisely, couldn’t care less about how the Clippers decorate the gym when the Lakers aren’t the designated home team. One of the Lakers’ newest players, however, seemed to take exception.
“He can do that?” Young said after Lakers practice Sunday, the team’s first since returning from China. “For real? That’s disrespectful. We got to talk to Doc. He can’t have that. We got to do something about that.”
The Clippers revealed their Staples Center redecoration at their preseason game Friday, as they plastered giant posters of players Chris Paul,Blake Griffin, DeAndre Jordan, Jamal Crawford, Matt Barnes, Jared Dudley and J.J. Redick over the Lakers’ 16 championship banners and 10 retired uniforms.
“That’s a lot of pull y’all are giving Doc,” Young continued, somewhat facetiously. “I think he shouldn’t come in and have so much pull like that. He’s got to earn his keep.”
When a reporter argued that Rivers’ championship resume from his time with the Boston Celtics should give the coach the credence to do so, Young retorted, “But he didn’t win no title in L.A. That’s where it’s at. Look at all these banners in here, you can’t shadow those up.”
Nick Young hasn’t yet won anything in his career, either.
Young’s Lakers pride is adorable, but the more tenured players have more perspective. The reality is that the Clippers should have done something like this a long time ago — short of winning banners themselves, the least they can do is make their home court a place all their own, without being constantly reminded of how far they have to go to become a historically well-respected NBA franchise.
- Report: Hornets, Nets talking possible Lance Stephenson for Joe Johnson trade 4
- Brandon Jennings leaves game in wheelchair, may have torn Achilles 8
- LaMarcus Aldridge decides to delay surgery, will return for Blazers Saturday vs. Wizards 7
- WATCH: Kobe Bryant’s doctor explains diagnosis to him following exam of injured shoulder 10
- Report: Cavaliers players say they ‘had lost faith’ due to lack of depth and roster construction 46
- Kobe Bryant will be back next season, he can’t resist the challenge 20
- Klay Thompson sets NBA record with 37 point quarter (VIDEO) 36