Oct 20, 2013, 12:30 PM EDT
The Knicks may, at some point this season, get to the point where they’re playing at the same level or better than the team was last year when it finished with the second best record in the Eastern Conference.
But the lack of frontcourt depth is likely to cause some trouble, at least in the early portion of the season.
Amar’e Stoudemire is unlikely to be ready for opening night, and it looks like he’s going to be hit or miss all season long anyway in terms of what he’s able to provide in a reserve role off the bench. Now comes word that the Knicks may have to similarly get by without another of their key rotation big men.
Kenyon Martin‘s lingering ankle injury will keep him out of Monday’s preseason game against the Raptors. It may also keep him out of the Knicks’ season opener. …
The fact that Martin is still hurt six months after his original ankle sprain is troubling for the 13-year veteran, and for the Knicks. …
Martin’s status for the season opener is questionable at this point, according to Woodson.
“And if he is around, I don’t know how much he’ll even play,” Woodson said.
Without Martin or Stoudemire, it gets lean on the front line extremely quickly. New York will have to turn to guys like Josh Powell, Cole Aldrich, Ike Diogu, and/or Jeremy Tyler — mostly unproven players, none of which are yet in place on guaranteed deals for this season.
The Knicks’ starting unit is solid, and likely will be able to continue to play near the top of the league offensively as it did last season. But there will be a precipitous drop off defensively if the team can’t find some reliable big men to protect the rim and control the boards, and with Martin and Stoudemire both on the shelf, the team doesn’t have a whole lot of options.
- Report: Kawhi Leonard, Spurs reach deal for five-year, $90 million contract extension 15
- Anthony Davis and Pelicans agree to five-year, $145 million contract extension 27
- Report: Kevin Love to meet with Lakers later in week 7
- Report: Lakers working to clear out more cap space to land both LaMarcus Aldridge, DeAndre Jordan 32
- PBT Extra: What players will most influence free agency? 1
- PBT Podcast: The top guys to watch as NBA free agency tips off 3
- Scottie Pippen: “I was LeBron James before LeBron James” 30
- Report: Kings probing John Calipari about his interest in coaching and running the team’s front office 22