Oct 20, 2013, 12:30 PM EDT
The Knicks may, at some point this season, get to the point where they’re playing at the same level or better than the team was last year when it finished with the second best record in the Eastern Conference.
But the lack of frontcourt depth is likely to cause some trouble, at least in the early portion of the season.
Amar’e Stoudemire is unlikely to be ready for opening night, and it looks like he’s going to be hit or miss all season long anyway in terms of what he’s able to provide in a reserve role off the bench. Now comes word that the Knicks may have to similarly get by without another of their key rotation big men.
Kenyon Martin‘s lingering ankle injury will keep him out of Monday’s preseason game against the Raptors. It may also keep him out of the Knicks’ season opener. …
The fact that Martin is still hurt six months after his original ankle sprain is troubling for the 13-year veteran, and for the Knicks. …
Martin’s status for the season opener is questionable at this point, according to Woodson.
“And if he is around, I don’t know how much he’ll even play,” Woodson said.
Without Martin or Stoudemire, it gets lean on the front line extremely quickly. New York will have to turn to guys like Josh Powell, Cole Aldrich, Ike Diogu, and/or Jeremy Tyler — mostly unproven players, none of which are yet in place on guaranteed deals for this season.
The Knicks’ starting unit is solid, and likely will be able to continue to play near the top of the league offensively as it did last season. But there will be a precipitous drop off defensively if the team can’t find some reliable big men to protect the rim and control the boards, and with Martin and Stoudemire both on the shelf, the team doesn’t have a whole lot of options.
- Adam Silver: NBA stars playing in international competition face ‘a big risk’ 10
- Derrick Rose says he’ll play Friday vs. Puerto Rico 9
- Report: Don’t be so sure on Anthony Bennett to Philadelphia rumors 39
- Report: Nike gets chance to match 10-year, $265 million offer to Kevin Durant from Under Armour 17
- Should NBA coaches get NFL style challenge flags? 18
- Report: Suns discussing trade possibilities for Eric Bledsoe 33
- Report: Sixers may look to trade for Amar’e Stoudemire at this season’s deadline 32
- Kevin Durant reiterates that rest was his reason for withdrawing from Team USA 10