Oct 20, 2013, 3:30 PM EDT
In the final game of the series, with the score out of hand and the contest having already been decided, Ayres got into a shoving match with Norris Cole, and although the confrontation was minor, both players were ejected by the officials to prevent things from escalating during garbage time.
Ayres signed with the Spurs in the offseason, and played for his new team against the Heat in Miami on Saturday. Apparently, though, the name change and the new uniform weren’t enough to make the Heat players forget about how Ayres played against them in last season’s playoffs.
Ayres felt no love lost in Miami after switching to the Spurs.
“That’s what it felt like,” Ayres said. “People were trying to take out my knees and stuff. I was like, it’s preseason take a chill pill.”
The Heat seemed to take the rematch against the Spurs quite seriously, so we’ll take Ayres’ word for it. Despite the fact that the game meant nothing in the standings. Dwyane Wade looked sharp and the Heat rolled to a 121-96 victory.
- With lower-than-expected salary cap, will Rockets and Pelicans still complete Omer Asik trade? 17
- Reports: LeBron James and agent done meeting with teams 75
- Rockets can’t keep Dwight Howard, James Harden and Chandler Parsons and give Chris Bosh max contract 44
- Donald Sterling in court calls wife “pig,” promises to sue NBA “until I die” 43
- Report: LeBron James leaves meeting with Pat Riley without committing to Heat 86
- Report: Mavericks shake up Rockets’ free-agent plans, agree to offer sheet with Chandler Parsons 40
- Gregg Popovich agrees to extension with Spurs, likely stays past Tim Duncan era 30
- Report: Cavaliers want to swing Kevin Love trade if LeBron James comes to town 51