Oct 20, 2013, 5:00 PM EDT
NBA legend Bill Russell was arrested on Friday after bringing a handgun into a prohibited area at Seattle-Tacoma International Airport.
All of the details make it seem like this was nothing more than an honest mistake — the 79-year old was stopped after security officials found a handgun in his carry-on bag, but Russell had a permit for the weapon and was released after receiving a citation.
Russell released a statement publicly apologizing for the incident.
“Before boarding my flight from Seattle to Boston, I had accidentally left a legal firearm in my bag. I apologize and truly regret the mistake,” he said. “I was issued a citation by the TSA, whose agents couldn’t have been more thorough and professional when dealing with this. I really appreciate their efforts to keep air travel safe.”
And that, as they say, is that.
Russell is set to be honored by the Celtics with a statue unveiling on November 1.
- Report: Trevor Ariza to sign 4-year, $32 million deal with Rockets 30
- Pau Gasol tweets he has chosen to play for Bulls. Only question is will it be sign-and-trade or not. 37
- LeBron James’ contract two years, $42 million with Cavaliers. That doesn’t mean he’s leaving. 34
- LeBron returns to Cleveland a more efficient, mature player that can take team further 35
- Andrew Wiggins, Jabari Parker shine in head-to-head Summer League matchup 19
- Posnanski: LeBron James proves he’s a true Clevelander 58
- Report: Isaiah Thomas headed to Phoenix Suns in a sign-and-trade 40
- Report: Chris Bosh re-signing with Heat over joining Rockets 89