Oct 19, 2013, 5:02 PM EDT
The Nets face the Celtics in Boston on Wednesday in what is one of two remaining preseason games on the team’s schedule. But Jason Kidd won’t be using it to get a look at some of his better lineups in action a week before the regular season begins, because two of his starters will be sitting this one out.
We’ve known this to be the case for a while now; Pierce specifically has said he wouldn’t be attending this particular game, opting instead to wait for the full-blown regular season tribute he’ll receive from the Boston faithful during a game that counts.
Pierce played all 15 of his NBA seasons with the Celtics before this one, and ranks near the top of the storied franchise’s all-time lists in almost all relevant offensive statistical categories. He and Garnett were traded this summer after management determined it was no longer possible to compete for a title with Pierce and Garnett as the featured players.
Garnett only played the last six years in Boston, after 12 years as a member of the Minnesota Timberwolves. But honestly, his days in Minnesota seem like a lifetime ago. Garnett changed the defensive culture of the Celtics the moment he got to town, and his Defensive Player of the Year campaign in 2008 was the primary reason the Celtics won a title that season.
The return of both players is sure to be an emotional one, but it won’t be happening for a few more months. The Nets play the Celtics in Boston for the first time this season on January 26.
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 3
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 7
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 27
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 4
- Jim Buss defends Byron Scott as Lakers coach, “He has the Laker blood in him” 24
- Jim Buss open to the idea of Kobe Bryant playing beyond this season 32
- Derrick Rose on sexual assault suit: “I am confident I will be proven innocent” 4