Oct 19, 2013, 5:02 PM EDT
The Nets face the Celtics in Boston on Wednesday in what is one of two remaining preseason games on the team’s schedule. But Jason Kidd won’t be using it to get a look at some of his better lineups in action a week before the regular season begins, because two of his starters will be sitting this one out.
We’ve known this to be the case for a while now; Pierce specifically has said he wouldn’t be attending this particular game, opting instead to wait for the full-blown regular season tribute he’ll receive from the Boston faithful during a game that counts.
Pierce played all 15 of his NBA seasons with the Celtics before this one, and ranks near the top of the storied franchise’s all-time lists in almost all relevant offensive statistical categories. He and Garnett were traded this summer after management determined it was no longer possible to compete for a title with Pierce and Garnett as the featured players.
Garnett only played the last six years in Boston, after 12 years as a member of the Minnesota Timberwolves. But honestly, his days in Minnesota seem like a lifetime ago. Garnett changed the defensive culture of the Celtics the moment he got to town, and his Defensive Player of the Year campaign in 2008 was the primary reason the Celtics won a title that season.
The return of both players is sure to be an emotional one, but it won’t be happening for a few more months. The Nets play the Celtics in Boston for the first time this season on January 26.
- James Harden and Dwight Howard show Mavericks what they’re missing in Rockets’ Game 1 win 0
- Derrick Rose looks like his old self as Bulls beat Bucks in Game 1 8
- Warriors strong enough to outlast Anthony Davis and Pelicans in Game 1 4
- Paul Pierce leads Wizards to overtime Game 1 win over Raptors 5
- Q&A: Corey Brewer on trade from Timberwolves, his 51-point game, Harden’s MVP case, Rockets vs. Mavericks 2
- PBT First Round Playoff Previews: Los Angeles Clippers vs. San Antonio Spurs 10
- Why the 2015 NBA playoffs feel wide open – but probably shouldn’t 5
- PBT Extra: Houston, Dallas simply do not like each other 3