Oct 18, 2013, 9:30 PM EDT
The large contract extension just offered and agreed to by Derrick Favors is the team putting its money where its mouth is.
Derrick Favors has reached agreement on a four-year, $49 million-plus contract extension with the Utah Jazz, league sources told Yahoo Sports.
The deal includes bonus incentives that could push the package well over $50 million, sources said. …
With ideal size at 6-foot-10 and 250 pounds, and merely the age of a college senior, Favors could’ve commanded a $13 million annual salary from several teams in restricted free agency next summer, executives told Yahoo Sports.
The extension provides some security for both sides.
Favors has all the tools to be a dominant power forward in the league, especially defensively. But he hasn’t yet played starter’s minutes anywhere close to a full 82-game season. Since coming to Utah as the key piece in the trade that sent Deron Williams to the Nets, Favors has started just 17 games in total over the last two seasons.
On the team side, Utah is being smart by locking up their promising young talent sooner rather than later. Big men who produce in this league get consistently overpaid, and all indications are that Favors would have received an offer greater than this next summer, and one that Utah would have had a hard time not matching in restricted free agency.
Favors averaged 9.4 points, 7.1 rebounds, and 1.7 blocked shots in 23.2 minutes per game last season. He should put up even more impressive numbers as a starter, which is the reason the Jazz felt so confident in locking him up with a long-term extension.
- Elimination game Josh Smith is a thing, Rockets live to play another day 5
- Rockets show it’s better to have James Harden than to not have Stephen Curry 6
- Stephen Curry leaves game after taking a hard fall, cleared to return (VIDEO) 10
- Rumor: Paul Pierce might opt out of contract with Wizards, join Clippers 18
- Golden State Warriors vs. Houston Rockets Game 4: Three things to watch from Houston 9
- LeBron James posts triple-double, Al Horford ejected as Cavaliers take 3-0 series lead with OT Game 3 win over Hawks 30
- Kyrie Irving out for Game 3 for Cavaliers with knee tendonitis 3
- Lil B says James Harden is officially under the Based God’s curse 31