Oct 18, 2013, 6:00 PM EDT
Who wears short shorts? LeBron James may wear short shorts.
Well, probably not. In fact let’s hope not, as I don’t really want that image burned into my retina.
In an interview with ESPN’s Chris Broussard, LeBron talked about how he had Dr. J in the top three players of all time, and he talked about wearing short shorts this season.
“The conversation was ‘Who do I like?’ ” James said, clarifying his comments. “Who were my three? Who were my favorite three of all time?’ No one knows who’s the greatest three players of all time. It’s impossible. No one can say who’s the best three of all time. You’re going to have Jordan there for sure. But after that, you can have Bird, Magic, Kareem, Wilt, Bill Russell, Oscar, Jerry West, Dr. J. You might even throw LeBron in there, maybe.’…
“As a kid I always heard the name (Dr. J),” James said. “And being a huge Jordan fan, I always knew Jordan looked up to Dr. J. So I was like, ‘Wow, who is Dr. J? If Jordan’s saying he aspired to be like this guy, I want to know who it is.’ And as I got the opportunity to meet him over All-Star weekend and stuff like that, he’s just an unbelievable guy. So you start liking someone like that.”
“I’m just wondering how in the heck they played like that,” James said of the tiny shorts. “I might bring it back, though. I might play in some small shorts this year. Pay my homage to the ’80s, to Dr. J and John Stockton. I don’t think it’s going to catch on, but I’m going to do it one game, maybe opening night. I can’t go all the way up (the legs), though. Athletes today are built a little differently in the legs.”
Please no, LeBron. If there is one thing the Fab 5 helped give us (and Jordan helped popularize) that was good for the game it was long shorts. I know bringing back the ‘80s is hip again, but some things from that era belong in that era. Like Alf. And short shorts on basketball players.
- Report: Washington Wizards contact Ray Allen, too 0
- Hornets rookie Noah Vonleh out 6-8 weeks after sports hernia surgery 3
- USA sails past New Zealand for easy 98-71 win behind Anthony Davis, Kenneth Faried 4
- Ray Allen on making a decision about next season: “I’m not in any rush” 11
- Derrick Rose after first back-to-back in years: “I’m feeling good right now” 3
- Report: Rajon Rondo wants to start season with Celtics, see how things unfold 11
- Rajon Rondo’s agent denies they asked Celtics for a trade 14
- Team USA trails at the half, then pulls away for 98-77 win over Turkey at FIBA World Cup 19