LeBron loves him some Dr. J, old school short shorts

Oct 18, 2013, 6:00 PM EST

Heat Media Day Basketball AP

Who wears short shorts? LeBron James may wear short shorts.

Well, probably not. In fact let’s hope not, as I don’t really want that image burned into my retina.

In an interview with ESPN’s Chris Broussard, LeBron talked about how he had Dr. J in the top three players of all time, and he talked about wearing short shorts this season.

“The conversation was ‘Who do I like?’ ” James said, clarifying his comments. “Who were my three? Who were my favorite three of all time?’ No one knows who’s the greatest three players of all time. It’s impossible. No one can say who’s the best three of all time. You’re going to have Jordan there for sure. But after that, you can have Bird, Magic, Kareem, Wilt, Bill Russell, Oscar, Jerry West, Dr. J. You might even throw LeBron in there, maybe.’…

“As a kid I always heard the name (Dr. J),” James said. “And being a huge Jordan fan, I always knew Jordan looked up to Dr. J. So I was like, ‘Wow, who is Dr. J? If Jordan’s saying he aspired to be like this guy, I want to know who it is.’ And as I got the opportunity to meet him over All-Star weekend and stuff like that, he’s just an unbelievable guy. So you start liking someone like that.”

“I’m just wondering how in the heck they played like that,” James said of the tiny shorts. “I might bring it back, though. I might play in some small shorts this year. Pay my homage to the ’80s, to Dr. J and John Stockton. I don’t think it’s going to catch on, but I’m going to do it one game, maybe opening night. I can’t go all the way up (the legs), though. Athletes today are built a little differently in the legs.”

Please no, LeBron. If there is one thing the Fab 5 helped give us (and Jordan helped popularize) that was good for the game it was long shorts. I know bringing back the ‘80s is hip again, but some things from that era belong in that era. Like Alf. And short shorts on basketball players.

1. eugenesaxe1 - Oct 18, 2013 at 6:11 PM

Everybody likes Dr. J.

• antistratfordian - Oct 18, 2013 at 6:43 PM

Larry Bird?

• louhudson23 - Oct 19, 2013 at 2:28 AM

Don’t be fool,fool. Of course Bird is on the list. And if the players on the list are putting a squad of five together to play a game,Bird is damn sure on their list….And Dr. J was more of a seventies player,being just a memory of his former self by the time Showtime and Bird got it going…

• antistratfordian - Oct 19, 2013 at 3:33 AM

No, no, no… I meant that Larry Bird may not like Dr. J because of the way Julius julienned his face once.

• jimeejohnson - Oct 19, 2013 at 12:22 PM

Only because fat Moses Malone was holding Bird while Dr. J got his shots in. Bird would have crushed the Doctor had it been one on one.

2. greenejoemean - Oct 18, 2013 at 6:23 PM

The season needs to hurry up and start. These reports are getting lame.

• ras1tafari - Oct 19, 2013 at 12:49 PM

“Source confirms that LeBron’s favorite color is red.”

3. katra2logic - Oct 18, 2013 at 6:24 PM

What is up with the fascination with today’s BBall shorts (talk about a misnomer)? They have gotten so ridiculously large that they actually need a real pair of shorts underneath to hold everything in. Why not just drop the silly looking tents and wear the short shorts. Only the fat (ala Big Baby) need to worry about the old style look.

• antistratfordian - Oct 18, 2013 at 6:51 PM

Blame Jordan.

But, imo, it just looks better aesthetically as long as they’re not so big as to look like dresses. Plus, playing in short short shorts – which I had to do, unfortunately – is uncomfortable.

4. mackcarrington - Oct 18, 2013 at 6:33 PM

Why do people always get hung up on the top 3 or 5 “greatest of all time”?
    I understand that it gives people something to debate about, but it’s getting old now.
    We know that there are a lot more than just 3 or 5 or 15 “great” players.
    These debates just wear me out.

5. antistratfordian - Oct 18, 2013 at 6:46 PM

No one should have to justify why they have Dr. J in their top 3. You can have him in there just by influence alone, if you wanted. Who changed the game more than Julius Erving? Jordan only added to the Doctor’s initial prescription.

6. ramblingalb - Oct 18, 2013 at 7:30 PM

Kurt’s flair for the mundane and fake drama is wearing quite thin.

• jimeejohnson - Oct 19, 2013 at 12:24 PM

Hope the door hits you in the head on your way out.

7. longtallsam - Oct 19, 2013 at 12:08 AM

Anyone who thinks the old shorts look funnier than today’s baggy bloomers, should have their head examined. And commending the “fab five” for bringing them to the game? What are you thinking.
    I have no problem with the shorts being a little longer than in the “old days”, but these below the knee bloomers look really stupid. Now, they are getting even more stupid with the sleeves on the jerseys. I remember having to wear those sleeved things forty years ago on my junior high team. We hated them!

• tfyjman - Oct 19, 2013 at 1:37 PM

Are you kidding me? Just because it falls below the knee doesn’t make it baggy, which is what I feel the older fans of the game think concerning the shorts.

Also, the length of the shorts arguments cuts both ways in my opinion. The players in the NBA are WAY TOO TALL to have worn anything that could be thought of as a miniskirt today, and they were. I specifically remember seeing Magic Johnson in just his warm up jacket and thought, “he’s not wearing anything under there.” He is 6’9″, way too tall for those short shorts. And you know who’s worse? Kareem. At 7′ 2″, he definitely could’ve used those below the knee shorts.

At this point, I believe I’m correct in thinking this is an issue that spans the generational divide, so we’ll have to agree to disagree.

8. cosmicduster - Oct 19, 2013 at 12:55 AM

Fab 5? The flyin’ Illini had the long shorts first.

9. hjworton46 - Oct 19, 2013 at 2:43 AM

Does not matter who is the greatest, or even in the conversation. Who you love is who you love. Dr J is still the man.

• jimeejohnson - Oct 19, 2013 at 12:23 PM

I still love the Doctor. You had to see him in his prime to believe.

Could Sixers be worst team in NBA history?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches