Oct 18, 2013, 6:57 PM EDT
The Miami Heat are polarizing. People love them or hate them. Detractors see an arrogant team that doesn’t maximize itself but just enough to win. Then there is LeBron James, who evokes the same love him or leave him emotions. Few fans inhabit the middle ground with Miami.
But the bottom line is everyone tunes in to watch them. Television ratings go up when they are on the screen.
Which makes the polarizing Heat good business for the NBA, something marketing master Mark Cuban gets. He’s taken his shots at the Heat before but in speaking with Jeff Caplan of NBA.com Cuban clearly understands what is helping line his pocket. And Cuban likes things that line his pocket.
“With the two titles, they’re still like the bad guys,” Cuban said. “There’s a confidence bordering on arrogance that is good for them as a team and good for us as a league because it also makes them the team that everybody wants to knock off.
“They’re kind of in some respects the Oakland Raiders … when they were winning. I don’t want to compare [Heat owner] Mickey [Arison] to Al Davis, that’s not fair, but you either love them or hate them. That’s always good for the NBA when you have a team that everybody looks forward to beating. It’s just like when we beat them, I would go in places I’ve never been and people would give me a standing ovation. That’s good for the NBA.”
When the Raiders were winning? Damn that’s back when NWA was still together I think; that’s a long, long time ago. Also, Micky Arison, do not wear white jump suits, please.
Cuban is right. Parity works selling the NFL, but even there fans get pumped up to see if their team can knock off the Patriots — you want a shot at the consistently good, arrogant team with the pretty boy quarterback. I think the NBA is always more interesting when there is a dominant team to shoot for — the Bulls in the 1990s, the Lakers/Celtics in the 1980s and so on.
Right now, the Heat are the team on top of the mountain, and this may well be the season some team knocks them off that perch. But it’s more fun to have that target; it’s much better than having a champion that gets dismantled within a couple years of winning it all… we’re looking at you, Cuban.
- Jahlil Okafor: “Rookie of the Year is one of the goals I set for myself” 5
- Report: Derrick Rose undecided about attending Team USA minicamp 8
- Report: Pacers planning to purchase D-League’s Fort Wayne Mad Ants 3
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott told police after arrest all drugs in car were his 17
- NBA lands in Africa trying to put down roots, which is all about youth programs, infrastructure 1
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 9
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott arrested for felony drug possession 16
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 48