Andre Drummond understands why he fell in draft

Oct 18, 2013, 12:44 PM EDT

Andre Drummond AP

I’ll admit I was wrong. Leading up to the 2012 NBA Draft I was not high on Andre Drummond as a big man prospect. The book on him was that he had plenty of talent but a questionable work ethic and desire — and the handful of UConn game I watched that year bore that out. He simply got outworked by lesser players. That turned me off.

General Managers saw that too, which is why Drummond fell to the Pistons at the No. 9 pick. Since then he has made everyone who doubted him look bad — Drummond has looked like one of a couple breakout stars from this class (Anthony Davis and Damian Lillard are the others).

In a fantastic, must-read profile of Drummond at Grantland, all the people around him seem to have excuses as to why he fell in the draft. What I love about Drummond is that he owns it (hat tip to Dan Feldman at Piston Powered for pointing this out).

According to those close to Drummond, there are several possibilities for the rumors’ origins. Maybe it was because he smiled when he played, rather than scowled. Or maybe it was the AAU teams Drummond chose not to play for that floated the rumors out of jealousy. Or maybe Drummond knows the real reason.

“Honestly, I think it was just because of the way I played at UConn,” Drummond said. “I didn’t have the best year. We lost in the first round and I think there was a lot of weight on my shoulders knowing that I didn’t play the way I was supposed to play.”

Drummond fell because of the bust potential. He had a higher ceiling than Michael Kidd-Gillchrist (the No. 2 overall pick) but with MKG you knew he would bring the effort every night. His jumper was a mess but there was no question about heart or desire. General managers don’t want a bust on their resume, especially with a Top 5 pick, so they can be cautious.

What Drummond has done since then is what has mattered. He is the future in Detroit.

Latest Posts
  1. Report: Cavaliers have had ‘zero discussion’ on contract extension with Tristan Thompson

Oct 25, 2014, 11:00 AM EDT

Tristan Thompson Tristan Thompson

It might be because short of an insane offer of a max deal, Thompson would rather take his chances as a restricted free agent next summer.

2. Kings’ Ray McCallum sinks put-back at the buzzer to beat Lakers

Oct 25, 2014, 9:30 AM EDT

Ray McCallum AP

Nice job of McCallum to stay active on a play where he had already missed a shot.

3. 67RIEFNS: Isaiah Thomas vs. Sacramento Kings

Oct 25, 2014, 8:00 AM EDT

Los Angeles Clippers v Sacramento Kings Los Angeles Clippers v Sacramento Kings

Will Thomas make Kings regret choosing Darren Collison over him?

4. Thunder’s Anthony Morrow to miss 4-6 weeks with knee sprain

Oct 25, 2014, 12:01 AM EDT

Grizzlies vs Thunder Grizzlies vs Thunder

Thunder will be very short-handed the first month of the regular season.

5. Player intentionally makes shot in own basket in attempt to force overtime

Oct 24, 2014, 10:00 PM EDT

And it was probably the smartest possible play

6. 67RIEFNS: K.J. McDaniels testing the second-round system

Oct 24, 2014, 9:00 PM EDT

2014 NBA Rookie Photo Shoot Getty Images

76ers forwent any guaranteed salary to hit free agency sooner

7. Why I am going to miss Steve Nash

Oct 24, 2014, 3:50 PM EDT

steve-nash-getty Getty Images

Nash was everything we want as a fan in an NBA player.

8. 67RIEFNS No. 34: JaVale McGee doing JaVale McGee things

Oct 24, 2014, 2:50 PM EDT

Denver Nuggets Media Day Denver Nuggets Media Day

The NBA is full of talent, personality and suspense. During the offseason, It’s easy to forget how wonderful the league can be. So, I’ve assembled 67 Reasons I’m Excited For Next Season (67RIEFNS). They’ll be presented in no particular order. JaVale McGee played just five games last year after injuring his leg. How did we…

9. 67RIEFNS No. 33: Emotional swings of Roy Hibbert

Oct 24, 2014, 1:07 PM EDT

Indiana Pacers Media Day 2014 Indiana Pacers Media Day 2014

Pacers center filling huge role after last season’s great start, big collapse

10. Josh Childress delivers flying elbow to opponent’s face (video)

Oct 24, 2014, 12:33 PM EDT

NBL Rd 3 - Perth v Sydney Getty Images

Childress, who played for Pelicans last season, now playing (dirty) in Australia

11. 67RIEFNS No. 32: Dwyane Wade and Chris Bosh leading a team without LeBron

Oct 24, 2014, 11:55 AM EDT

2014 NBA Finals - Game Two Getty Images

Are Heat stars too old to succeed without LeBron James?

Heat can make playoffs without LeBron
Top 10 NBA Player Searches