Andre Drummond understands why he fell in draft

Oct 18, 2013, 12:44 PM EDT

Andre Drummond AP

I’ll admit I was wrong. Leading up to the 2012 NBA Draft I was not high on Andre Drummond as a big man prospect. The book on him was that he had plenty of talent but a questionable work ethic and desire — and the handful of UConn game I watched that year bore that out. He simply got outworked by lesser players. That turned me off.

General Managers saw that too, which is why Drummond fell to the Pistons at the No. 9 pick. Since then he has made everyone who doubted him look bad — Drummond has looked like one of a couple breakout stars from this class (Anthony Davis and Damian Lillard are the others).

In a fantastic, must-read profile of Drummond at Grantland, all the people around him seem to have excuses as to why he fell in the draft. What I love about Drummond is that he owns it (hat tip to Dan Feldman at Piston Powered for pointing this out).

According to those close to Drummond, there are several possibilities for the rumors’ origins. Maybe it was because he smiled when he played, rather than scowled. Or maybe it was the AAU teams Drummond chose not to play for that floated the rumors out of jealousy. Or maybe Drummond knows the real reason.

“Honestly, I think it was just because of the way I played at UConn,” Drummond said. “I didn’t have the best year. We lost in the first round and I think there was a lot of weight on my shoulders knowing that I didn’t play the way I was supposed to play.”

Drummond fell because of the bust potential. He had a higher ceiling than Michael Kidd-Gillchrist (the No. 2 overall pick) but with MKG you knew he would bring the effort every night. His jumper was a mess but there was no question about heart or desire. General managers don’t want a bust on their resume, especially with a Top 5 pick, so they can be cautious.

What Drummond has done since then is what has mattered. He is the future in Detroit.

Latest Posts
  1. Report: Suns’ Morris twins charged with aggravated assault

Apr 21, 2015, 4:51 PM EDT

Phoenix Suns Media Day Getty Images

The twins were allegedly part of a group that beat up a man outside a rec league basketball tournament.

2. Hawks’ Al Horford says he will play in Game 2 despite finger injury

Apr 21, 2015, 4:14 PM EDT

Al Horford AP

Horford is going to have work to do on the defensive end slowing down Brook Lopez.

3. Brilliant spoof: Zach Randolph’s deep thoughts on cats, shirts, more

Apr 21, 2015, 3:30 PM EDT

Zach Randolph AP

Well done, Zach Randolph and the Memphis Grizzlies.

4. Nets list Mirza Teletovic as ‘probable’ for Game 2 vs. Hawks

Apr 21, 2015, 2:43 PM EDT

Brooklyn Nets v Sacramento Kings Getty Images

Teletovic was originally ruled out for the season on Jan. 23.

5. Report: Spurs might get a free agent meeting with LaMarcus Aldridge

Apr 21, 2015, 11:50 AM EDT

Denver Nuggets v Portland Trail Blazers Getty Images

Another report has Aldridge at no better than 50-50 to re-sign with the Blazers.

6. Raptors’ Lou Williams: ‘Staying in Toronto would be ideal for me’

Apr 21, 2015, 11:10 AM EDT

Toronto Raptors v Charlotte Hornets Getty Images

Williams will be an unrestricted free agent this summer.

7. PBT Extra matchup to watch: Can Toronto keep Paul Pierce quiet on the court?

Apr 21, 2015, 12:14 AM EDT

cd0ymzcznguwzdbhnduynddiytjhm2yyzthlmtjjotqwyyznptrkyze4nmfkytlhmjnjodc4mjk4mgq0nzixowuwndg2 AP

Pierce’s comments made him unpopular north of the border, but his play should bother the Raptors more.

8. PBT Extra matchup to watch: Dallas has to find a way to deal with Dwight Howard

Apr 20, 2015, 9:59 PM EDT

Tyson Chandler, Dirk Nowitzki, Dwight Howard Tyson Chandler, Dirk Nowitzki, Dwight Howard

He was simply the most dominant player in Game 1 of the Mavericks vs. Rockets series.

Mavericks need to contain Dwight Howard in Game 2