Oct 18, 2013, 12:44 PM EDT
I’ll admit I was wrong. Leading up to the 2012 NBA Draft I was not high on Andre Drummond as a big man prospect. The book on him was that he had plenty of talent but a questionable work ethic and desire — and the handful of UConn game I watched that year bore that out. He simply got outworked by lesser players. That turned me off.
General Managers saw that too, which is why Drummond fell to the Pistons at the No. 9 pick. Since then he has made everyone who doubted him look bad — Drummond has looked like one of a couple breakout stars from this class (Anthony Davis and Damian Lillard are the others).
In a fantastic, must-read profile of Drummond at Grantland, all the people around him seem to have excuses as to why he fell in the draft. What I love about Drummond is that he owns it (hat tip to Dan Feldman at Piston Powered for pointing this out).
According to those close to Drummond, there are several possibilities for the rumors’ origins. Maybe it was because he smiled when he played, rather than scowled. Or maybe it was the AAU teams Drummond chose not to play for that floated the rumors out of jealousy. Or maybe Drummond knows the real reason.
“Honestly, I think it was just because of the way I played at UConn,” Drummond said. “I didn’t have the best year. We lost in the first round and I think there was a lot of weight on my shoulders knowing that I didn’t play the way I was supposed to play.”
Drummond fell because of the bust potential. He had a higher ceiling than Michael Kidd-Gillchrist (the No. 2 overall pick) but with MKG you knew he would bring the effort every night. His jumper was a mess but there was no question about heart or desire. General managers don’t want a bust on their resume, especially with a Top 5 pick, so they can be cautious.
What Drummond has done since then is what has mattered. He is the future in Detroit.
- Report: Timberwolves to end up with Thad Young, Anthony Bennett as part of Kevin Love trade 66
- Adam Silver: NBA stars playing in international competition face ‘a big risk’ 12
- Derrick Rose says he’ll play Friday vs. Puerto Rico 15
- Report: Don’t be so sure on Anthony Bennett to Philadelphia rumors 54
- Report: Nike gets chance to match 10-year, $265 million offer to Kevin Durant from Under Armour 18
- Should NBA coaches get NFL style challenge flags? 20
- Report: Suns discussing trade possibilities for Eric Bledsoe 36
- Report: Sixers may look to trade for Amar’e Stoudemire at this season’s deadline 32