Andre Drummond understands why he fell in draft

Oct 18, 2013, 12:44 PM EDT

Andre Drummond AP

I’ll admit I was wrong. Leading up to the 2012 NBA Draft I was not high on Andre Drummond as a big man prospect. The book on him was that he had plenty of talent but a questionable work ethic and desire — and the handful of UConn game I watched that year bore that out. He simply got outworked by lesser players. That turned me off.

General Managers saw that too, which is why Drummond fell to the Pistons at the No. 9 pick. Since then he has made everyone who doubted him look bad — Drummond has looked like one of a couple breakout stars from this class (Anthony Davis and Damian Lillard are the others).

In a fantastic, must-read profile of Drummond at Grantland, all the people around him seem to have excuses as to why he fell in the draft. What I love about Drummond is that he owns it (hat tip to Dan Feldman at Piston Powered for pointing this out).

According to those close to Drummond, there are several possibilities for the rumors’ origins. Maybe it was because he smiled when he played, rather than scowled. Or maybe it was the AAU teams Drummond chose not to play for that floated the rumors out of jealousy. Or maybe Drummond knows the real reason.

“Honestly, I think it was just because of the way I played at UConn,” Drummond said. “I didn’t have the best year. We lost in the first round and I think there was a lot of weight on my shoulders knowing that I didn’t play the way I was supposed to play.”

Drummond fell because of the bust potential. He had a higher ceiling than Michael Kidd-Gillchrist (the No. 2 overall pick) but with MKG you knew he would bring the effort every night. His jumper was a mess but there was no question about heart or desire. General managers don’t want a bust on their resume, especially with a Top 5 pick, so they can be cautious.

What Drummond has done since then is what has mattered. He is the future in Detroit.

1. benjamincharlesparho - Oct 18, 2013 at 1:06 PM

Drummond’s a guy who just turned 20 a couple months ago and clearly has other things in his life other than basketball. It’s healthy to see that he has other hobbies and interests, and maybe what others view as a lack of maturity or distractions are what allows him to play so well by staying energized.

2. snipedanglecelly13 - Oct 18, 2013 at 1:35 PM

A very bright pistons future

3. circuscivics - Oct 18, 2013 at 1:47 PM

“I’ll admit I was wrong. Leading up to the 2012 NBA Draft I was not high on Andre Drummond as a big man prospect”
    __________________________________________________________________

Helin. We are used to you being wrong by now. No need to state the obvious.

• fanofthegame79 - Oct 18, 2013 at 10:08 PM

I’d love to sit over your shoulder at your work and point out your mistakes. Don’t be a chump.

4. eugenesaxe1 - Oct 18, 2013 at 4:41 PM

At least the guy is honest with himself.

5. muhangis - Oct 18, 2013 at 11:44 PM

I’ll say this… I COULDN’T BELIEVE that he fell to #9 in the draft! Too many of these NBA draft scouts are overly pessimistic, they look at a downside/weakness or two and let it outweigh the tons of upside/strengths a player may have, and scratch him off in no time. It’s sad really!

I additionally believe that Noel will prove every doubter wrong too! Just seeing the Phoenix Suns pass him up (no one has been worse at drafting than this team) proves it. Just as equal to the fact that the Raptors at #8 passed up Drummond for terrible Terrence Ross.

6. anhdazman - Oct 20, 2013 at 5:09 AM

Hey, how many big men flopped over the years and everyone thought they were the sure thing.

At least you have the huevos to admit it.

Warriors vs. Clippers playoff preview