Jordan calls idea of one-on-one with Grizzlies owner “comical”

Oct 17, 2013, 8:00 AM EDT

Michael Jordan AP

Not even $1 million could make it happen.

Just a couple days ago Grizzlies owner Robert Pera — who is 35 years old and has a little game — challenged Michael Jordan to a game of one-on-one with $1 million going to charity.

Did you really think Jordan would be up for it? It’s lose-lose for him, even if it’s for fun and charity. So speaking with the Charlotte Observer Jordan laughed off the idea.

“I think that’s comical,’’ Jordan said. “It didn’t make any sense. Why would I play one one-on-one? It’s a no-win situation for me no matter what.”

He’s right. If he dominates Pera he did what he was supposed to do and still doesn’t look like the 1997 Jordan. If Pera keeps it close… that’s not good either.

Credit Pera, he handled this well.

1. spyder9669 - Oct 17, 2013 at 8:17 AM

MJ is turning into Donovan Mcnabb. Always in the news and sounding fairly strange every time.

• gettinbuckets513 - Oct 17, 2013 at 8:32 AM

I think you sound strange..

No one questions Pera’s ability to make money so it sounds like he is a very arrogant person, it does sound crazy for MJ to play him even at 50, he is the G.O.A.T.

If he’s that good why not suit up for your own team.

2. dls612 - Oct 17, 2013 at 9:14 AM

Who’s he fooling he’s just a groupie and using charity as bait to get a chance to play his idol one on one ! Almost certain that’s his dream.

3. mybasses - Oct 17, 2013 at 9:21 AM

Jordan can’t stop talking about lebron and now someone call him out in a one on one he turn it down, he said if he came back and played in this nba he could average 15-20 points per game, take the guys money, if nothing else prove you can still play! And stop hating on lebron!!!

4. goingoppo - Oct 17, 2013 at 9:58 AM

I love MJ, but he sounds like a jackass here.

“It’s a no-win situation for me”

It’s for freaking charity. Not everything has to be about you. I don’t care what Pera’s agenda is. Put aside your ego for two seconds

5. paleihe - Oct 17, 2013 at 10:46 AM

If I was worth 4 billion dollars, I’d probably be a douche too.

6. xLith - Oct 17, 2013 at 10:53 AM

Hey Robert, I’ll play you for $1 million dollars. I’ll even let you beat me.

• dls612 - Oct 17, 2013 at 10:59 AM

Bad choice of words!

• brewmaster1973 - Oct 17, 2013 at 6:10 PM

Or is it? Maybe he’s just into that sort of thing!

7. mrbiz8505 - Oct 17, 2013 at 12:33 PM

MJ should counter with “1st round draft pick for the next 5 years….winner take all”

This guy would get quiet real fast

• redbaronx - Oct 17, 2013 at 3:15 PM

@mrbiz8505 – I think MJ would balk even more. The guy is 35 and might be a decent baller. What if MJ loses the draft pick in that scenario? It would be embarressing to him. And we all know MJ can’t just laugh off a loss. He doesn’t have that kind of sense of humor.

Like Kurt said…Lose-Lose for MJ.

8. detectivejimmymcnulty - Oct 17, 2013 at 5:25 PM

Isn’t it obvious to everyone that MJ is scared to play him? ;)

9. shadowshand - Oct 17, 2013 at 9:30 PM

If MJ had 5 1st round picks, he’d try to figure out a way to draft Kwame Brown five times.

10. MyTeamsAllStink - Oct 18, 2013 at 9:46 AM

Can’t wait to welcome back the Charlotte HORNETS next season.

Woodson, D'Antoni's coaching futures