Derrick Rose’s high school coach says Rose driven by not wanting to disappoint

Oct 17, 2013, 4:01 PM EDT

Chicago Bulls v Washington Wizards - NBA Global Games Rio 2013 Getty Images

There were a lot of disappointed (and pissed off, frankly) Bulls fans last year that Derrick Rose didn’t return from an ACL surgery to lead the Bulls into the playoffs. He said he didn’t feel right and wasn’t ready (and for anyone to question that from the sidelines is ridiculous, but that’s another discussion).

Rose’s high school coach Robert Smith (of Simeon in Chicago) spoke with the USA Today about Rose and had an interesting insight on his choice on when to return.

The conversation had turned to what a lot of people have noticed — Rose looks better this year, at least so far in the preseason. The question was asked “why?”

Because he took his time and he doesn’t like to disappoint people. I think that was the main reason why he didn’t come back early. He just doesn’t like to disappoint anyone. That drives him. His competitive nature would never let him not come back as good or better than he was before. When he opted to stay out I said to myself, “When he gets back it’s gonna be rough on some people.”

We all saw Ricky Rubio come back on schedule and struggle for months to find his game and confidence again. By the end of the season it was close, but it’s really this season that he is all the way back. Every surgery is different, but Rose didn’t want to be that guy. He didn’t want to return until he was better than people remembered.

By the way, one other insight Smith passed on about Rose.

Probably that he’s really superstitious. His routine is always the same, he doesn’t change anything. Just things like always being the last one to come out of the locker room and always being the last one to come to the huddle. Different things like that. But he’s serious about that stuff.

1. nflcinbengals - Oct 17, 2013 at 4:56 PM

That’s what makes him special, he’s a warrior!

Youngest MVP

• antistratfordian - Oct 17, 2013 at 5:04 PM

He didn’t really win an MVP. He won the “LeBron is disqualified this year – now’s your chance to steal an award” award.

• detectivejimmymcnulty - Oct 17, 2013 at 5:15 PM

More than likely Lebron should win the MVP every year as long as he’s playing like he is now. More than likely he won’t.

• stayhigh_247 - Oct 17, 2013 at 11:10 PM

@antistratfordian
        and you won the “thats not crack your smoking but it gives you the same effect award”. is it just blind lust for Lebron or just hate for D Rose? This kid is nice, you better wake up!

• gmsingh123 - Oct 18, 2013 at 8:59 AM

antistratfordian – Oct 17, 2013 at 5:04 PM
        He didn’t really win an MVP.

Here are your choices: a) he shouldn’t have gotten the MVP because the NBA is fixed, just like all the calls that go the Heat’s way so they could win two championships. b) He really did deserve to win MVP. You’re screwed.

• antistratfordian - Oct 18, 2013 at 2:28 PM

Or he shouldn’t have gotten the MVP because he wasn’t the MVP of the 2011 season.

• gmsingh123 - Oct 19, 2013 at 11:15 AM

Don’t state opinions as facts–it makes you look intelligence challenged.

• antistratfordian - Oct 22, 2013 at 11:15 PM

Some opinions are also facts. Like mine.

2. antistratfordian - Oct 17, 2013 at 5:04 PM

Well he disappointed a lot of people last year. I’ve never seen Bulls fans so uncomfortable than they were near the end of last season when Rose kept teasing and never playing.

3. nflcinbengals - Oct 17, 2013 at 5:14 PM

Regardless of what YOU say HE won the MVP HIS name is on it not Brons, and he carried his team to the number one seed alone without help! as far as his injury it was HIS decision not yours or anyone else’s. I can only imagine how traumatized he was so he can back when he felt was right! Stop hating dude, why come back early and struggle so numb nuts like you would rush to judgement. He’ll be a great one!

• detectivejimmymcnulty - Oct 17, 2013 at 5:17 PM

He already IS a great one. Contrary to popular belief all great players had/have help. It’s not like the Bulls were a bad team when Rose won the MVP, but he absolutely deserved the award.

• antistratfordian - Oct 17, 2013 at 5:32 PM

“he absolutely deserved the award.”

No, he didn’t really deserve the award. LeBron did. Not only for leading his team to a similar record with 10x the amount of pressure, but also just because he was a better player that season on both ends of the floor. But, again, LeBron was disqualified so… I guess he would’ve been the next best selection. I begrudgingly accept that.

Also, the false MVP from 2011 was completely owned by the real MVP from 2011 in the Eastern Conference Finals. After that series people were like, “wait a second… why was Rose MVP again?”

• detectivejimmymcnulty - Oct 17, 2013 at 7:08 PM

I agree Lebron should have won the award but that doesn’t mean Rose didn’t deserve the award. Not all seasons are the same for MVP races. Some years there’s one guy that’s obvious while other years there are multiple guys who deserve to win, but only one can.

• antistratfordian - Oct 17, 2013 at 5:27 PM

“Stop hating dude, why come back early and struggle so numb nuts like you would rush to judgement.”

If Rose would’ve come back at the end of last season that still would’ve been coming back much later than expected.

I’m not hating anyway… just stating delicious facts. Bulls fans were a little annoyed last year. I was speaking with several of them at the time and they didn’t know what the heck was going on – eventually they all just started parroting the company line. But to say they weren’t disappointed that Rose didn’t play a single game last year would be nothing but lying.

4. nflcinbengals - Oct 17, 2013 at 5:18 PM

As far as him teasing, the media, the organization and everyone else associated with his name all made a substantial profit off of #TheReturn come on dude state facts!

5. nflcinbengals - Oct 17, 2013 at 5:31 PM

He sure as beck didn’t have help come the playoffs that year. That offense ran through HIM and only HIM. Seeing as I am one of the biggest Bulls fans in the world, I would know this! most of the time three of his teammates would be wide open that year

6. nflcinbengals - Oct 17, 2013 at 5:38 PM

Of course he was “owned” by dude. Rose gives up 5′ inches and over 50 lbs to Bron! Who was also owned by Dallas and most recently Kobe in the all-star game! Lol he didn’t even want to touch the ball in the 4th!

• antistratfordian - Oct 17, 2013 at 5:47 PM

Nobody owns LeBron – only LeBron owns LeBron. And Kobe admitted that he just fouled LeBron in the all-star game…

• antistratfordian - Oct 17, 2013 at 5:49 PM

And LeBron owned Kobe in a REAL game last year… at Staples. Shut him down in the 4th. Or as JA Adande said: “Then LeBron locked in on Bryant… and Kobe wasn’t heard from again.”

• stayhigh_247 - Oct 17, 2013 at 11:15 PM

@antistratfordian
        hey dude, you should come up for some fresh air, you’re riding his nut sack a lil too tight, his wife wants some too.

7. nflcinbengals - Oct 17, 2013 at 5:47 PM

Give credit were it’s due.The Bulls fans that you claimed to have talked to are just that. Only Rose can walk in his shoes. His decisions can’t be made on people’s feelings and emotions. He comes back, re injures himself and everyone’s looking dumbfounded. Also Lebron is a lockdown defender, he neutralizes everyone in the league except for Kobe and Melo.

• antistratfordian - Oct 17, 2013 at 5:52 PM

He can still re-injure himself now. Re-injury wasn’t the concern.

LeBron also neutralizes Kobe and Melo. Like Durant in the finals, Melo couldn’t do anything in crunch time with LeBron on him in their only playoff series against eachother. And Kobe? LeBron shut him down last year in a REAL game… not an exhibition game.

• stayhigh_247 - Oct 17, 2013 at 11:24 PM

@antistratfordian
        dude, you’re weird! now i know the difference between a fan and a fanatic.like most people, i enjoy watching Lebron play but dam, get off his nuts! Lebrons gonna have to deal with D Rose for years to come and the Bulls are going to get through Miami, believe it or not. But you are so delusional you cant see it..

• antistratfordian - Oct 18, 2013 at 1:59 AM

what are you even going on about? you sent me three different messages of the same inane prattle. chill.

8. nflcinbengals - Oct 17, 2013 at 5:49 PM

No Kobe blocked two of your boy’s shot and dared him to shoot again. Go to Youtube, look it up and take it like a man!

• antistratfordian - Oct 17, 2013 at 5:50 PM

Go check out Kobe’s own quotes about those blocks… he said he fouled him, but he fouls every time he plays defense, just hopes the refs don’t call it.

9. earpaniac - Oct 17, 2013 at 5:52 PM

Of course they won’t give it to Lebron every year, even if he deserves it. They didn’t give it to MJ every year since about ’88 either. There seems to be reluctance to give it to one guy every year, even if the universe knows who the MVP should be.

10. nflcinbengals - Oct 17, 2013 at 6:00 PM

Whether he fouled or not, he embarrassed Lebron and everyone in the arena knew it. He asked Lebron to take the last shot in that game, but your boy wanted NOOOOOO parts of the Mamba.

11. nflcinbengals - Oct 17, 2013 at 6:12 PM

As far as Kobe being quoted, I found reaction of his post game video saying “I’m an 80’s baby, that’s what we do”.

12. nflcinbengals - Oct 17, 2013 at 6:21 PM

LeBron has never shutdown Melo, Melo could have bricks for feet and he’d struggle. Also Kobe can’t be stopped, you can only hope to contain him. Bron had the help of Battier and Wade that game so stop hyping your boy! if kb2408 was on he’d tell you the same!

• detectivejimmymcnulty - Oct 17, 2013 at 7:13 PM

Ah..calling for someone with the screen name “kb” to defend your thoughts on Kobe hurts credibility a bit. As far as Kobe not being able to be stopped you would be incorrect. Sure he typically scores quite a few points, but that has a lot to do with shot attempts. Kobe scoring 25 points on 10-25 is a bad game but to you that’s not being stopped.

• nflcinbengals - Oct 17, 2013 at 7:41 PM

I never said that I needed him to defend me! My points are valid and as I said Kobe can’t be stopped, his shots may not always fall but who shots does? 81 points, 5 rings. Kobe’s what every athlete should strive to compete against. but first off who are you and why are you dipping your nose into my convo? It’s between me and a particular Rose hater (since everything Rose does is by default to him or her). Go sit in the corner while grown men talk boy.

• detectivejimmymcnulty - Oct 17, 2013 at 8:31 PM

If you want a private conversation I’d suggest exchanging phone numbers or email addresses. Being 15 doesn’t make you a man, boy.

• 00maltliquor - Oct 18, 2013 at 1:19 AM

Sorry, there is NO player in the league that can guard Kobe. He has too many moves and too many counter moves. Heck, his counter moves have counter moves. You can’t stop him but hope to contain him.

13. nflcinbengals - Oct 17, 2013 at 6:23 PM

Re injury was the concern wise guy, he didn’t trust his body yet!

14. nflcinbengals - Oct 17, 2013 at 9:26 PM

Oh nice come back dude, shut up talking to me, as I said, I said nothing to you, nor do I like, know or want to get to know you! stay in your place boy!
    All hail D.Rose!

• detectivejimmymcnulty - Oct 17, 2013 at 9:46 PM

You must not understand the purpose of a message board. Good luck on your drivers test.

15. nflcinbengals - Oct 17, 2013 at 9:27 PM

Go investigate these nuts!

16. nflcinbengals - Oct 17, 2013 at 9:32 PM

Just because I state my opinion, it doesn’t mean open your mouth to me! Go be Sherlock Holmes with someone else

17. nflcinbengals - Oct 17, 2013 at 9:48 PM

To PBT and to my fellow posters, I apologize for the way I handled this situation, I hope it doesn’t happen again!

• legend30 - Oct 18, 2013 at 12:07 AM

Just shut the hell up. What are you apologizing for? There’s nothing wrong with having you’re own opinion, but just shut the hell up! Can’t stand Cincinnati and Cleveland fans…

• 00maltliquor - Oct 18, 2013 at 1:11 AM

Naw man, don’t apologize! This has been one of the funniest threads I’ve read in a looong time! I’m enjoying myself lol! Good stuff.

18. nflcinbengals - Oct 18, 2013 at 12:01 AM

@stayhigh_247 lol I’ve been trying to tell dude bro!

19. nflcinbengals - Oct 18, 2013 at 12:27 AM

Keyboard gangstas lol

• 00maltliquor - Oct 18, 2013 at 1:12 AM

Mouse pad mobsters!

20. nflcinbengals - Oct 18, 2013 at 12:41 AM

We hate you too scrub, you acting like your important, lol your commenting on articles just like me joker!

21. nflcinbengals - Oct 18, 2013 at 1:47 AM

Exactly 00maltliquor, that’s what I’m telling these clowns!

22. nflcinbengals - Oct 18, 2013 at 1:55 AM

@00maltliquor they just don’t get it my man!

23. legend30 - Oct 18, 2013 at 1:40 PM

nflcinbengals is the PBT version of logicalvoicesays…

24. nflcinbengals - Oct 18, 2013 at 8:30 PM

@legend30 get off my nuts!

Will LeBron get booed Christmas Day in Miami?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches