Oct 17, 2013, 10:54 AM EDT
We know one Team USA assistant coach — Tom Thibodeau — will be in his corner.
Derrick Rose reiterated on Wednesday that he might play next summer for Team USA in the World Championships in Spain, and he really wants to go to Brazil for 2016, as reported at CSNChicago.com.
“For sure, I would love to play on the team,” said Rose. “It would be an honor. But at the same time it’ll take me trying out for the team and Coach K and this coaching staff along with Thibs would pick the players and allow me to play for them. So, if I have the opportunity to play for them, I will, but it’s just going to take me trying out for the team.”
I love that he’s talking about trying out, but we all know he’d make the team if he wants it. Rose is the kind of athletic talent on the perimeter other countries simply cannot match up with. The best players in the NBA can’t defend him, what chance does the Angola/Turkey/Croatia point guard have?
So Rose, what about spending your summer with Thibodeau, too?
“It’s going to be a little bit weird, but at the same time it should be cool and we should grow — our relationship should grow — with us being two other leaders driving this team.”
All of this, of course, is predicated on Rose being healthy and his knee being right. Thibs might rather not see his MVP this summer and rather hear he’s resting back in Chicago.
- Lakers make it official — finally — and hire Byron Scott as head coach 7
- Derrick Rose: “I’ve become a smarter player, but I’m mad it took me seven years to learn it.” 21
- Shelly Sterling beats Donald Sterling in court, clears sale of Clippers to Steve Ballmer 54
- Report: Timberwolves have talked to Sixers about Thaddeus Young as Kevin Love replacement 25
- All eyes on Derrick Rose as USA Basketball mini-camp begins 22
- Klay Thompson doesn’t anticipate being traded, says he expects to play with Warriors next season 8
- PBT Power Rankings: After summer shakeups, Spurs still team to beat 47
- Report: ‘No chance’ Kevin Love stays with Timberwolves 65