Oct 17, 2013, 10:54 AM EDT
We know one Team USA assistant coach — Tom Thibodeau — will be in his corner.
Derrick Rose reiterated on Wednesday that he might play next summer for Team USA in the World Championships in Spain, and he really wants to go to Brazil for 2016, as reported at CSNChicago.com.
“For sure, I would love to play on the team,” said Rose. “It would be an honor. But at the same time it’ll take me trying out for the team and Coach K and this coaching staff along with Thibs would pick the players and allow me to play for them. So, if I have the opportunity to play for them, I will, but it’s just going to take me trying out for the team.”
I love that he’s talking about trying out, but we all know he’d make the team if he wants it. Rose is the kind of athletic talent on the perimeter other countries simply cannot match up with. The best players in the NBA can’t defend him, what chance does the Angola/Turkey/Croatia point guard have?
So Rose, what about spending your summer with Thibodeau, too?
“It’s going to be a little bit weird, but at the same time it should be cool and we should grow — our relationship should grow — with us being two other leaders driving this team.”
All of this, of course, is predicated on Rose being healthy and his knee being right. Thibs might rather not see his MVP this summer and rather hear he’s resting back in Chicago.
- 67RIEFNS: Warriors starters with Draymond Green 0
- Report: Kobe Bryant viewed Dwight Howard leaving Lakers in free agency as ‘a positive’ 12
- Report: Cavaliers have had ‘zero discussion’ on contract extension with Tristan Thompson 9
- Why I am going to miss Steve Nash 26
- Victor Oladipo out indefinitely after taking elbow in practice, suffering facial fracture 13
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: New Orleans Pelicans 10
- Five teams poised to make a big leap forward this season 5
- Steve Nash to miss entire 2014-15 season with ongoing back injuries 70