Oct 16, 2013, 12:17 AM EDT
Jazz rookie Trey Burke was supposed to get the bulk of the minutes at the point guard position this season, but that was before he fractured a finger in a preseason game that required surgery and will sideline him for the next 4-12 weeks.
Utah is now pretty thin at the one, with John Lucas III getting the nod for now, but with only non-guaranteed players Lester Hudson and Scott Machado currently on the preseason roster as guys who traditionally play the point guard position.
It makes sense, then, for the Jazz to consider other options.
With Burke out, the Jazz have talked to veteran point guard Jamaal Tinsley about a return to the team.
Tinsley, 35, spent the past two seasons in Utah. He played in 103 games, including 33 starts.
“There has been mutual interest,” Raymond Brothers, Tinsley’s agent, told The Tribune.
Said coach Tyrone Corbin: “He has some interest, we have some interest. … He’s a guy who knows our system.”
And that’s it exactly.
For a short-term fix, Tinsley is at least serviceable and knows the team and what his coach is trying to do. Utah has 13 players in place with guaranteed contracts, and if they’re going to add one more, it might as well be a known commodity that the team trusts.
Tinsley averaged 3.5 points and 4.4 assists in 18.5 minutes per game for Utah last season.
- NBA’s 44-minute game clocks in at under two hours, players barely notice 0
- Nets coach Hollins on 44-minute game: ‘The change will be for the guys who don’t start’ 9
- Spurs’ Gregg Popovich fires back at Suns owner’s apology: ‘I’m just surprised he didn’t do it in a chicken suit’ 6
- Blake Griffin goes after Trevor Booker following flagrant foul, says he may retaliate in the future (VIDEO) 30
- Suns coach Hornacek says shortening games won’t help teams rest their stars 2
- Lakers coach Byron Scott’s philosophy on three-pointers: ‘I don’t believe it wins championships’ 33
- Accounting for Klay Thompson choosing a contract extension over new-TV-deal money 2
- Kobe Bryant calls ESPN voters who ranked him No. 40 ‘idiots’ 34