Oct 16, 2013, 12:17 AM EST
Jazz rookie Trey Burke was supposed to get the bulk of the minutes at the point guard position this season, but that was before he fractured a finger in a preseason game that required surgery and will sideline him for the next 4-12 weeks.
Utah is now pretty thin at the one, with John Lucas III getting the nod for now, but with only non-guaranteed players Lester Hudson and Scott Machado currently on the preseason roster as guys who traditionally play the point guard position.
It makes sense, then, for the Jazz to consider other options.
With Burke out, the Jazz have talked to veteran point guard Jamaal Tinsley about a return to the team.
Tinsley, 35, spent the past two seasons in Utah. He played in 103 games, including 33 starts.
“There has been mutual interest,” Raymond Brothers, Tinsley’s agent, told The Tribune.
Said coach Tyrone Corbin: “He has some interest, we have some interest. … He’s a guy who knows our system.”
And that’s it exactly.
For a short-term fix, Tinsley is at least serviceable and knows the team and what his coach is trying to do. Utah has 13 players in place with guaranteed contracts, and if they’re going to add one more, it might as well be a known commodity that the team trusts.
Tinsley averaged 3.5 points and 4.4 assists in 18.5 minutes per game for Utah last season.
- Days before he faced LeBron, Paul George said Durant is NBA’s toughest cover 10
- A day later, Kobe didn’t think he played quite so bad 6
- Why question “When did basketball get so bad?” misses mark 28
- Adam Silver: NBA to consider doing away with divisions 15
- The Extra Pass: Five quick ways to improve the league; plus Monday’s Recaps 20
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (65)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (54)
- Kobe Bryant dunks, looks good in Lakers practice; Friday return possible (47)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (43)
- Durant tells “60 Minutes Sports” he’s still tired of being No. 2 (35)