Oct 16, 2013, 5:20 PM EDT
A couple days ago we told you that Greg Oden had been fully cleared to practice and that he was going to take part in a 5-on-5 scrimmage with the Heat. We also told you that Heat doctors were measuring his knees daily to see if there was any swelling.
It’s another setback for Oden but he remains optimistic about his return.
“I’m fine,” Oden said. “It’s been three years, three-and-a-half years for me, so a little bit of swelling … As long as there’s no surgery, I’m OK. It’s just taking its time. It’s going to be a long season, and I’m going to get there. It’s just one day.”
It is just one day, but you have to wonder what is causing the swelling and if that is something that just can be overcome with rest?
When Oden signed with the Heat it was a roll of the dice, but a calculated one, by both sides. Miami can use the size and presence inside that Oden can bring, they only offered a minimum deal and they are in a position not to rush him. Without Oden the Heat are going to win plenty of games, but November is not their focus.
As for now, there is no pressure and no rush.
“I was hoping it didn’t [swell], but it did,” Oden said. “What can I do about it? The best thing I can do is get it back down and get back out there and figure out what I can do to get out there and not have it swell again.”
- Kevin Durant says he’d ‘love to’ stay with Thunder his entire career, wants his jersey retired in OKC 12
- Anthony Davis says James Harden should be MVP 20
- Stop judging J.J. Redick by his Duke days if you haven’t already 7
- Thunder say Kevin Durant underwent successful bone graft surgery, will return in 4-6 months 4
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Monday: DeMar DeRozan went Harden on Harden 12
- Derrick Rose returns to full-contact practice, Bulls return date still unknown 13
- Report: Sacramento consultant Chris Mullin to take St. John’s head coaching job 5
- PBT Extra: Taking twitter questions on Clippers, Michael Carter-Williams, more 7