Oct 16, 2013, 5:20 PM EDT
A couple days ago we told you that Greg Oden had been fully cleared to practice and that he was going to take part in a 5-on-5 scrimmage with the Heat. We also told you that Heat doctors were measuring his knees daily to see if there was any swelling.
It’s another setback for Oden but he remains optimistic about his return.
“I’m fine,” Oden said. “It’s been three years, three-and-a-half years for me, so a little bit of swelling … As long as there’s no surgery, I’m OK. It’s just taking its time. It’s going to be a long season, and I’m going to get there. It’s just one day.”
It is just one day, but you have to wonder what is causing the swelling and if that is something that just can be overcome with rest?
When Oden signed with the Heat it was a roll of the dice, but a calculated one, by both sides. Miami can use the size and presence inside that Oden can bring, they only offered a minimum deal and they are in a position not to rush him. Without Oden the Heat are going to win plenty of games, but November is not their focus.
As for now, there is no pressure and no rush.
“I was hoping it didn’t [swell], but it did,” Oden said. “What can I do about it? The best thing I can do is get it back down and get back out there and figure out what I can do to get out there and not have it swell again.”
- Report: Timberwolves to end up with Thad Young, Anthony Bennett as part of Kevin Love trade 68
- Adam Silver: NBA stars playing in international competition face ‘a big risk’ 12
- Derrick Rose says he’ll play Friday vs. Puerto Rico 16
- Report: Don’t be so sure on Anthony Bennett to Philadelphia rumors 54
- Report: Nike gets chance to match 10-year, $265 million offer to Kevin Durant from Under Armour 18
- Should NBA coaches get NFL style challenge flags? 20
- Report: Suns discussing trade possibilities for Eric Bledsoe 36
- Report: Sixers may look to trade for Amar’e Stoudemire at this season’s deadline 32