Oct 16, 2013, 5:20 PM EDT
A couple days ago we told you that Greg Oden had been fully cleared to practice and that he was going to take part in a 5-on-5 scrimmage with the Heat. We also told you that Heat doctors were measuring his knees daily to see if there was any swelling.
It’s another setback for Oden but he remains optimistic about his return.
“I’m fine,” Oden said. “It’s been three years, three-and-a-half years for me, so a little bit of swelling … As long as there’s no surgery, I’m OK. It’s just taking its time. It’s going to be a long season, and I’m going to get there. It’s just one day.”
It is just one day, but you have to wonder what is causing the swelling and if that is something that just can be overcome with rest?
When Oden signed with the Heat it was a roll of the dice, but a calculated one, by both sides. Miami can use the size and presence inside that Oden can bring, they only offered a minimum deal and they are in a position not to rush him. Without Oden the Heat are going to win plenty of games, but November is not their focus.
As for now, there is no pressure and no rush.
“I was hoping it didn’t [swell], but it did,” Oden said. “What can I do about it? The best thing I can do is get it back down and get back out there and figure out what I can do to get out there and not have it swell again.”
- Bulls owner issues statement refuting rift between Bulls front office, Derrick Rose 12
- If traded before World Cup starts could Kevin Love still play for USA? Colangelo said it’s possible. 2
- Anthony Davis steps into spotlight, is Team USA’s lynchpin 17
- Referee Violet Palmer comes out publicly as gay 49
- Report: Cavaliers last team standing in Kevin Love trade talks 89
- Pat Riley says he didn’t think LeBron was leaving, Heat can turn around quickly 61
- Coach K on Rose: “Derrick’s played great, not good, and hasn’t held anything back” 30
- Report: Anthony Bennett pulled from pro-am by agent, possibly due to his inclusion in Kevin Love trade talks 43