Oct 16, 2013, 5:20 PM EST
A couple days ago we told you that Greg Oden had been fully cleared to practice and that he was going to take part in a 5-on-5 scrimmage with the Heat. We also told you that Heat doctors were measuring his knees daily to see if there was any swelling.
It’s another setback for Oden but he remains optimistic about his return.
“I’m fine,” Oden said. “It’s been three years, three-and-a-half years for me, so a little bit of swelling … As long as there’s no surgery, I’m OK. It’s just taking its time. It’s going to be a long season, and I’m going to get there. It’s just one day.”
It is just one day, but you have to wonder what is causing the swelling and if that is something that just can be overcome with rest?
When Oden signed with the Heat it was a roll of the dice, but a calculated one, by both sides. Miami can use the size and presence inside that Oden can bring, they only offered a minimum deal and they are in a position not to rush him. Without Oden the Heat are going to win plenty of games, but November is not their focus.
As for now, there is no pressure and no rush.
“I was hoping it didn’t [swell], but it did,” Oden said. “What can I do about it? The best thing I can do is get it back down and get back out there and figure out what I can do to get out there and not have it swell again.”
- Nuggets need to decide direction, then hire coach 18
- Report: Russell Westbrook ‘likely’ to return to Thunder lineup Wednesday, will wear protective mask 13
- Nuggets have fired head coach Brian Shaw 29
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Monday: Goran Dragic got his revenge in concentrated form 4
- League suspends James Harden one game for kick to LeBron James’ groin 23
- PBT’s weekly NBA Power Rankings: Hawks seem to be out of malaise. Maybe. 11
- Report: Jimmy Butler could miss three to four weeks with elbow injury 7
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Sunday: James Harden, LeBron James want your MVP vote 11