Oden has knee swelling, minor setback after scrimmage

Oct 16, 2013, 5:20 PM EDT

Greg Oden AP

A couple days ago we told you that Greg Oden had been fully cleared to practice and that he was going to take part in a 5-on-5 scrimmage with the Heat. We also told you that Heat doctors were measuring his knees daily to see if there was any swelling.

Wednesday they found some, reports Ken Berger at CBSSports.com.

It’s another setback for Oden but he remains optimistic about his return.

“I’m fine,” Oden said. “It’s been three years, three-and-a-half years for me, so a little bit of swelling … As long as there’s no surgery, I’m OK. It’s just taking its time. It’s going to be a long season, and I’m going to get there. It’s just one day.”

It is just one day, but you have to wonder what is causing the swelling and if that is something that just can be overcome with rest?

When Oden signed with the Heat it was a roll of the dice, but a calculated one, by both sides. Miami can use the size and presence inside that Oden can bring, they only offered a minimum deal and they are in a position not to rush him. Without Oden the Heat are going to win plenty of games, but November is not their focus.

As for now, there is no pressure and no rush.

“I was hoping it didn’t [swell], but it did,” Oden said. “What can I do about it? The best thing I can do is get it back down and get back out there and figure out what I can do to get out there and not have it swell again.”

1. chiadam - Oct 16, 2013 at 5:26 PM

His leg will fall off by the end of the week.

2. 00maltliquor - Oct 16, 2013 at 5:36 PM

Shocking………

3. virusgvr - Oct 16, 2013 at 5:36 PM

I am completely amazed on how much money this guy has made with all the knee injuries he has had so far. I think it’s funny that a team wastes a roster spot on him and thinks he will be magically ready to play even half the season.

• miamatt - Oct 16, 2013 at 6:04 PM

When you consider the fact that the end of an NBA bench consists of names like Juwan Howard and Jarvis Varnado, the reason Oden gets one more shot is rather apparent. I doubt the Heat “think he will be magically ready to play”, just that the team doctors believe there is a chance somewhere north of 0% that he could play light minutes at some point in the next nine months. Oden may indeed prove to be a “waste of a roster spot”, but no more than the chumps at the end of any teams’ bench. Considering that the worst case scenario is that Oden doesn’t play at all and gets paid the minimum salary, while the best case scenario is he gives Miami quality minutes against big playoff front lines, I’d say it’s a lottery ticket well worth buying.

• 00maltliquor - Oct 16, 2013 at 11:06 PM

Nicely put, miamatt.

• mydoghasfleez - Oct 17, 2013 at 12:07 PM

Agree with your post Matt – except for:

“…chumps at the end of the bench…”.

Like to see you go one-on-one with any of those “chumps”.

• antistratfordian - Oct 16, 2013 at 6:08 PM

Meanwhile… Jason Collins is healthy and available…

The Heat are probably the only team that can use a roster spot on someone like Oden or Curry and not have it be too much of a waste.

• kb2408 - Oct 16, 2013 at 6:21 PM

I gotta hand it to you, that makes a lot of sense. Collins will probably help the Heat more than Greg ever will. And he’s healthy right now.

• 00maltliquor - Oct 16, 2013 at 11:09 PM

IDK kb, I’d rather have the thought of the idea of Oden playing 5 min. the entire season then actually have Collins play 50 min. the entire season. Collins is probably the worst player I’ve ever seen in my life.

• kb2408 - Oct 17, 2013 at 12:23 AM

Have you ever seen Joel Anthony? How about Kendrick Perkins?

4. mackcarrington - Oct 16, 2013 at 5:55 PM

What is this guy, 25?
    Swelling means that there is probably fluid inside that knee. He may have to keep having it drained or they may have to go back inside it again.
    Or, it may just turn out ok. I thought he was already playing ball and had all of that stuff worked out.
    Was he just sitting in his LaZ boy chair and said, “I feel good, I’m going to play ball again”.?

• mogogo1 - Oct 17, 2013 at 2:57 PM

Essentially, that is what happened. I like him a lot and hope he finally realizes his potential, but the odd thing about this comeback is nothing has really changed from when he retired other than the passage of time. No new surgical techniques, just the thought that fewer minutes will be the key to him making it through a season.

5. kb2408 - Oct 16, 2013 at 6:35 PM

Man, I wish Oden success with the rest of his career. I just hope his success comes with another team. One thing we’ve learned with 7 footers and bad knees is, they hardly ever get better. Oden has the knees of a 15 year veteran but he’s only played the equivalent of one full season.

6. genericcommenter - Oct 16, 2013 at 10:06 PM

I don’t know how many minutes he’s going to give you once he gets in there, but I guarantee he’s going to come up huge!

• kb2408 - Oct 17, 2013 at 12:25 AM

I can’t tell if you’re serious, or if this is a joke. I kinda hope it’s a joke…

• genericcommenter - Oct 19, 2013 at 8:05 AM

Yes, it’s a penis joke.

• mydoghasfleez - Oct 17, 2013 at 12:10 PM

Come up huge……….should be………..Go down huge.

Still a minor risk for Miami

7. bowmanj35 - Oct 16, 2013 at 10:26 PM

I’m going to file this one away under “shocked and amazed”

• jpstyles314 - Oct 16, 2013 at 11:29 PM

8. cantonbound13 - Oct 17, 2013 at 11:43 AM

Who’s knees will go first, Dwhine Wade or Oden’s?

9. cantonbound13 - Oct 17, 2013 at 11:45 AM

The problem is they spent too much time teaching him to flop in practice. That’s what killed Diva Wade’s knees.

Why can't Lakers have a player-coach?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches