Oct 16, 2013, 1:29 AM EST
Kevin Durant looks good this preseason. No, I mean really good. I know he always looks good but with Russell Westbrook out and coach Scott Brooks throwing lineups against the wall to see what sticks, a whole lot more has fallen on Durant.
And he’s up to it. He was 13-of-20 from the floor on his way to 36 points in 23 minutes against Denver Tuesday. He did it with drives attacking the rim, catch-and-shoot threes, backing his defender down into the paint, and even some Nowitzki-like one-legged fadeaways from the elbow.
It’s just preseason, but Durant has stepped up his game — there’s a new level of confidence, a smoothness to it. How far he can take this team remains to be seen, but he is the second best player on the face of the earth right now and he’s closing ground on No. 1. He looks like an MVP.
- Tuesday night NBA Grades: Kobe plays pretty well, Suns’ backcourt plays better 0
- Pacers win first Conference Finals rematch vs. Heat 14
- Days before he faced LeBron, Paul George said Durant is NBA’s toughest cover 25
- A day later, Kobe didn’t think he played quite so bad 12
- Why question “When did basketball get so bad?” misses mark 55
- Why question “When did basketball get so bad?” misses mark (55)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (54)
- Durant tells “60 Minutes Sports” he’s still tired of being No. 2 (35)
- Report: Heat shopping Joel Anthony, seeking depth behind Wade (35)
- Fan wanders onto court while game is going on during Cavaliers-Clippers (VIDEO) (34)