Oct 16, 2013, 1:29 AM EST
Kevin Durant looks good this preseason. No, I mean really good. I know he always looks good but with Russell Westbrook out and coach Scott Brooks throwing lineups against the wall to see what sticks, a whole lot more has fallen on Durant.
And he’s up to it. He was 13-of-20 from the floor on his way to 36 points in 23 minutes against Denver Tuesday. He did it with drives attacking the rim, catch-and-shoot threes, backing his defender down into the paint, and even some Nowitzki-like one-legged fadeaways from the elbow.
It’s just preseason, but Durant has stepped up his game — there’s a new level of confidence, a smoothness to it. How far he can take this team remains to be seen, but he is the second best player on the face of the earth right now and he’s closing ground on No. 1. He looks like an MVP.
- Report: Mavericks trading for Rajon Rondo could happen ‘sooner rather than later’ 5
- Carmelo Anthony introduces his latest signature shoe, the Jordan Melo M11 6
- Report: Rondo “open” to re-signing in Dallas, Houston if traded there 17
- PBT’s Wednesday Night NBA Winners/Losers: You will not question if Memphis is legit again 17
- Grizzlies top Spurs in triple overtime. Best game of the season. So far. 4
- Report: Mavericks and Celtics in ‘substantive discussion’ about Rajon Rondo trade 23
- Report: Celtics now more willing to trade Rajon Rondo 13
- Tyson Chandler says he feels sorry for Carmelo Anthony 19