Panthers’ defensive end Greg Hardy says he can beat LeBron one-on-one. Please.

Oct 15, 2013, 1:51 PM EDT

Greg Hardy AP

When you’re the king of the mountain — and undoubtedly LeBron James is currently standing on top of the NBA mountain — everybody wants to knock you off.

That can be the other 29 teams in the league. That can be a legend who once stood in that spot and can’t let it go.

Or, that could be an athlete from a completely different discipline with delusions of grandeur.

Carolina Panthers’ defensive end Greg Hardy was a basketball player back in the day at Ole Miss, and he told the Charlotte Observer thinks he could beat LeBron one-on-one.

Q: If you went 1-on-1 with LeBron who would win?

A: How should I answer this question? …I would dominate that dude. Hands down, guaranteed win. And that’s my favorite player.

Q: Why?

A: I’m a beast…

I’m not saying I would beast him, but I would definitely win. I got a good shot, I got good handles, I got good size (6-foot-4, 275 pounds). I feel that we match up pretty well. I was a defensive player in college.

Hardy, stay in your lane.

We can break this down if you want. Hardy is a big man — 6’4”. 275 pounds — but he gives up four inches and a whole lot of quickness (with all due respect to Hardy) in this matchup. LeBron is not giving up much bulk. Hardy had enough skills to play DI ball, and maybe he can bull rush his way to a couple points in a matchup, but LeBron would own him with jumpers and drives and length.

Sometimes people underestimate how good NBA players are. Look at it this way: What happened when NBA role player Brian Scalabrine took on non-NBA guys one-on-one?

Hardy went on to say this was a response to the people who said LeBron could play DE in the NFL. But this kind of schoolyard retort makes Hardy look like he’s grabbing for attention, just the same as the people who think LeBron could play for the Cowboys next season.

Could LeBron walk onto the field and play defensive end in the NFL tomorrow? No. If he’d stuck with football maybe he could have made the league as a tight end, and only maybe, but LeBron wisely decided to make basketball his focus.

He stayed in his lane.

1. burm61 - Oct 15, 2013 at 1:58 PM

Prison Rules? That changes everything.

2. psly2124 - Oct 15, 2013 at 2:06 PM

Kenton could never play in the nfl. Never could. He cries after every touch foul, what he do on a football field. Real years would be streaming down his face.

3. Distinguished Male - Oct 15, 2013 at 2:43 PM

This is also coming from the guy who said he would post 50 sacks this season.

Saying this as a Panthers fan, but Greg Hardy likes to talk. Still love the dude though, he backs it up more often than not.

4. dls612 - Oct 15, 2013 at 2:45 PM

Saying he can beat LeBron one on one as a player of the Panthers his concerns are way off!

• ProBasketballPundit - Oct 15, 2013 at 6:18 PM

It’s just a question he was asked. Then his answer became a story.

• dls612 - Oct 15, 2013 at 6:54 PM

You’re the reason why these dumb question won’t go away! What next ” hey Raphael Nadal you’re great tennis player do you think you can take LeBron one on one! Pointless, but then again there’s people like you!

5. louhudson23 - Oct 15, 2013 at 2:56 PM

Why should Jordan let it go? He earned it,he believes it and who is to doubt him?

• Kurt Helin - Oct 16, 2013 at 12:41 AM

I’m not saying he’s not the best of all time, but he hasn’t left the stage gracefully.

6. bougin89 - Oct 15, 2013 at 3:29 PM

I’d also take Greg Hardy in this matchup but that’s assuming Lebron James is playing left tackle.

Oh, he’s talking about basketball?

7. stayhigh_247 - Oct 15, 2013 at 3:54 PM

Please, somebody make this happen! And sell tickets, pay per view, live streams.becuz this dude is puffing some magical herbs down there in the cacalacks.

8. senorpapino - Oct 15, 2013 at 5:37 PM

You had me until you said that LeBron would own him with jumpers…

• antistratfordian - Oct 15, 2013 at 7:23 PM

He’s been owning everyone with jumpers.

9. dgilet1 - Oct 15, 2013 at 11:22 PM

I’m not a Lebron fan but I can’t deny that he is the best in the world by far in the nba…however from an nfl standpoint I will say this. If jimmy graham and justin Thomas can translate to beasts in the nfl what would a way more athletic explosive quick Lebron James that was an all state high school football player do. Remember this is comparing him to guys like jimmy graham who are dominating and only played 1 year of college bball. Now that’s at tight end, at defensive end Lebron would get dominated. Takes too much technique and physicality up front that he wouldn’t have. But at tight end I believe he would at a minimum do what graham is doing

10. stuckingeebs - Oct 16, 2013 at 8:28 AM

You realize JG is the best TE in the game right now right? BronBron played 1 year of football. 1 year. Sure he looks like Tarzan, but so does everyone else in the NFL. The biggest issue is LeBron couldn’t and wouldn’t take a hit over the middle. The guys is a straight up Jane.

I would like to see him try and flop in the NFL though.

11. misremembered72 - Oct 16, 2013 at 10:59 AM

Lebron would get a holding call and run 50 yards down field clutching his helmet holding back tears after the whistle

Will LeBron get booed Christmas Day in Miami?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches