Oct 15, 2013, 11:37 AM EDT
Evan Turner is not going to get an extension to his rookie contract, and frankly he shouldn’t (unless he’s willing to take a very small number).
He hasn’t shown to be an effective or efficient scorer at the NBA level. He’s an NBA bench guy because he rebounds, passes and generally plays solid ball, but he struggles to finish at the rim (47.9 percent shooting in the restricted area last season) and shot 41 percent in the rest of the midrange last season. He shot a good but not great 36.5 percent from three.
Oct. 31 is the deadline for players in Evan’s draft class to get contract extensions (as John Wall, DeMarcus Cousins, Larry Sanders already have). Turner told John Finger of CSNPhilly.com he isn’t worrying about getting an extension, which is probably wise.
“I’m not upset about it,” Turner said. “I know what type of player I’m going to be and I know who I am and I know what I’ve done. Obviously, we have a different situation. We switched GMs and we switched which direction we’re going, but I’m not going to sit here and be upset. I’m going to get money — whether I get it now or later, I’ve been blessed to be financially stable.”
There are no talks going on between Turner’s agent (David Falk) and Sixers GM Sam Hinkie.
Basically this is a contract year for Turner — he’s going to get a lot of run on this thin Sixers team and if he shows a newfound scoring touch he’s going to make himself a lot of money as a restricted free agent next season. If he’s the same old Evan Turner, he’ll get a nice little below-average contract next season and play somewhere off the bench.
But nobody is going to give him a contract extension off his performance so far.
- Report: Knicks reach deal with backup center Kevin Seraphin 0
- Raptors officially unveil new uniforms, yes there is a Drake-inspired one 7
- Ray Allen: “I won’t officially retire” 12
- Report: Adidas makes $200 million offer to James Harden 22
- Jahlil Okafor: “Rookie of the Year is one of the goals I set for myself” 16
- Report: Derrick Rose undecided about attending Team USA minicamp 9
- Report: Pacers planning to purchase D-League’s Fort Wayne Mad Ants 4
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott told police after arrest all drugs in car were his 17