Oct 15, 2013, 12:42 PM EDT
It seems the Pistons suddenly have a bigger backcourt problem than deciding their starting shooting guard.
Combo guard Rodney Stuckey is already out with a broken finger. Though Maurice Cheeks hopes Stuckey will return in time for the Oct. 30 opener against the Wizards, according to Vince Ellis of the Detroit Free Press, that seems unlikely, even if just by a small margin.
But Stuckey is small potatoes compared to Brandon Jennings.
Stuckey could very well start at point guard, though as I said before, it seems unlikely he’s unavailable when the season begins.
Chauncey Billups is probably the Pistons’ starting point guard to open the season with either Kentavious Caldwell-Pope or Kyle Singler starting at shooting guard. Or perhaps, Will Bynum starts at point guard with Billups remaining at shooting guard.
The Pistons hired Cheeks, in part, for his ability to handle guards, and now the first-year coach has his work cut out for him just to set a rotation. But if that’s where the issue ends, Detroit will likely came out OK.
More than most teams, the Pistons need to develop chemistry due their unconventional lineup. If these injuries delay that, the implications could be larger, perhaps enough to cost Detroit early games, and eventually, a playoff bid.
Jennings is a crucial piece piece to the Pistons’ season, and simply, it’s unlikely they can afford to miss him for long.
- Elimination game Josh Smith is a thing, Rockets live to play another day 5
- Rockets show it’s better to have James Harden than to not have Stephen Curry 6
- Stephen Curry leaves game after taking a hard fall, cleared to return (VIDEO) 10
- Rumor: Paul Pierce might opt out of contract with Wizards, join Clippers 19
- Golden State Warriors vs. Houston Rockets Game 4: Three things to watch from Houston 9
- LeBron James posts triple-double, Al Horford ejected as Cavaliers take 3-0 series lead with OT Game 3 win over Hawks 30
- Kyrie Irving out for Game 3 for Cavaliers with knee tendonitis 3
- Lil B says James Harden is officially under the Based God’s curse 31