Oct 15, 2013, 12:42 PM EST
It seems the Pistons suddenly have a bigger backcourt problem than deciding their starting shooting guard.
Combo guard Rodney Stuckey is already out with a broken finger. Though Maurice Cheeks hopes Stuckey will return in time for the Oct. 30 opener against the Wizards, according to Vince Ellis of the Detroit Free Press, that seems unlikely, even if just by a small margin.
But Stuckey is small potatoes compared to Brandon Jennings.
Stuckey could very well start at point guard, though as I said before, it seems unlikely he’s unavailable when the season begins.
Chauncey Billups is probably the Pistons’ starting point guard to open the season with either Kentavious Caldwell-Pope or Kyle Singler starting at shooting guard. Or perhaps, Will Bynum starts at point guard with Billups remaining at shooting guard.
The Pistons hired Cheeks, in part, for his ability to handle guards, and now the first-year coach has his work cut out for him just to set a rotation. But if that’s where the issue ends, Detroit will likely came out OK.
More than most teams, the Pistons need to develop chemistry due their unconventional lineup. If these injuries delay that, the implications could be larger, perhaps enough to cost Detroit early games, and eventually, a playoff bid.
Jennings is a crucial piece piece to the Pistons’ season, and simply, it’s unlikely they can afford to miss him for long.
- Pau Gasol’s trade tip put his and Marc Gasol’s All-Star futures in motion 0
- Reports: Kings at Knicks, Trail Blazers at Nets games Monday postponed due to coming storm 3
- Did win over Lakers break Rockets out of their defensive slump? 7
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Sunday: Thunder don’t look like playoff team yet 20
- Report: Hornets, Nets talking possible Lance Stephenson for Joe Johnson trade 9
- Hassan Whiteside posts 14-point, 13-rebound, 12-block triple-double in Heat win over Bulls (VIDEO) 33
- Brandon Jennings leaves game in wheelchair, may have torn Achilles 8
- LaMarcus Aldridge decides to delay surgery, will return for Blazers Saturday vs. Wizards 7