Oct 15, 2013, 12:42 PM EDT
It seems the Pistons suddenly have a bigger backcourt problem than deciding their starting shooting guard.
Combo guard Rodney Stuckey is already out with a broken finger. Though Maurice Cheeks hopes Stuckey will return in time for the Oct. 30 opener against the Wizards, according to Vince Ellis of the Detroit Free Press, that seems unlikely, even if just by a small margin.
But Stuckey is small potatoes compared to Brandon Jennings.
Stuckey could very well start at point guard, though as I said before, it seems unlikely he’s unavailable when the season begins.
Chauncey Billups is probably the Pistons’ starting point guard to open the season with either Kentavious Caldwell-Pope or Kyle Singler starting at shooting guard. Or perhaps, Will Bynum starts at point guard with Billups remaining at shooting guard.
The Pistons hired Cheeks, in part, for his ability to handle guards, and now the first-year coach has his work cut out for him just to set a rotation. But if that’s where the issue ends, Detroit will likely came out OK.
More than most teams, the Pistons need to develop chemistry due their unconventional lineup. If these injuries delay that, the implications could be larger, perhaps enough to cost Detroit early games, and eventually, a playoff bid.
Jennings is a crucial piece piece to the Pistons’ season, and simply, it’s unlikely they can afford to miss him for long.
- Report: Anthony Bennett pulled from pro-am by agent, possibly due to his inclusion in Kevin Love trade talks 39
- Report: Sixers fighting against immediate changes to NBA Draft Lottery system 48
- Team USA going small ball, but how many bigs do they keep on the bench? 4
- Report: LeBron James more popular than he ever was with the Heat 14
- Durant says 2014 USA team better than 2010 version that won gold 6
- Kevin Durant knows you’re talking about his free agency but isn’t giving many clues. He liked what LeBron did. 16
- Byron Scott makes ridiculous optimism sound reasonable 44
- Derrick Rose told Carmelo Anthony that if he came to Chicago “the game would be easy” 42