Oct 14, 2013, 12:57 PM EDT
Trey Burke is still going to get the chance to run the Utah Jazz offense, but it likely will be 2014 before he gets the opportunity now.
We got an update Monday on Burke’s broken finger from Saturday’s preseason game — he is going to need surgery to put pins in said finger. That was the option that was going to keep him out the longest.
How long? Jody Genessy of the Deseret News says at least two months.
Burke is expected to be sidelined for eight to 12 weeks because the nature of the break requires some pins to be inserted into his finger for a full recovery, his agent told the Deseret News…
“It’s unfortunate,” Jazz coach Tyrone Corbin said. “It’s part of the business getting hurt and seeing how he responds.”
This basically makes a return around Christmas or into the New Year the most likely option. Burke was one of the leading candidates for Rookie of the Year, but this makes that unlikely. The Jazz are in it for the lottery pick this year, so there is no reason to rush him back (and risk longer-term issues from not giving it time to heal).
Utah is thin at the point, they have John Lucas III, plus Scott Machado and Lester Hudson in camp on non-guaranteed contracts. Alec Burks can play there some if needed, but as we told you earlier look for the Jazz to be in the point guard trading market starting right now.
The Bulls Marquis Teague has been mentioned as an option, but teams that have a point guard to spare are going to get calls from — or be making calls to —Utah. Don’t be shocked if some kind of deal gets done before the season tips off.
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 5
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 8
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 27
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 4
- Jim Buss defends Byron Scott as Lakers coach, “He has the Laker blood in him” 24
- Jim Buss open to the idea of Kobe Bryant playing beyond this season 32
- Derrick Rose on sexual assault suit: “I am confident I will be proven innocent” 4