Oct 14, 2013, 11:30 AM EDT
Last season, then Sixers coach Doug Collins was constantly asking for more energy, more consistent effort out of Lavoy Allen. By the end of the season Allen had faded from Collins’ rotation and it felt like a lost season.
This preseason Allen has been slowed by a knee injury, but as he works his way back into the rotation — he played in the Sixers preseason game in England against Oklahoma City then last Friday against Boston — new coach Brett Brown is starting to sound like Doug Collins when talking about Allen. Brown said Allen needs to lose 8-10 pounds.
Brown, the Sixers’ coach, responded to a question about Lavoy Allen’s conditioning by saying, “He’s a C.”
Allen is in a contract year and needs to show everyone around the league he’s worth investing in. He defends pretty well, but he’s a pick-and-pop big who doesn’t like to venture inside much.
Allen has the skills to be a solid NBA rotation player, but that all starts with conditioning. If he gets that in order we’ll see what else he can do — on this thin Sixers’ roster he is going to get the opportunities.
- USA cruises past Finland in World Cup opener, 114-55 5
- World Cup Preview: USA vs. Finland, what to expect 4
- James Harden on Kobe Bryant return: “He’s 20-year-old Kobe” 30
- Chris Paul discusses his signature shoe, hoops with media at launch of his Jordan Brand CP3 VIII (VIDEO) 5
- 67RIEFNS No. 1: Tom Thibodeau managing his bigs 22
- Derrick Rose knows injury questions will keep coming. And coming. And coming. 11
- FIBA World Cup preview: USA, Spain, then who else can medal? 2
- Official ‘Clippers’ Number 1 Fan’ on herself and Donald Sterling: ‘I’ll always feel it’s our team’ 21