Oct 14, 2013, 11:30 AM EDT
Last season, then Sixers coach Doug Collins was constantly asking for more energy, more consistent effort out of Lavoy Allen. By the end of the season Allen had faded from Collins’ rotation and it felt like a lost season.
This preseason Allen has been slowed by a knee injury, but as he works his way back into the rotation — he played in the Sixers preseason game in England against Oklahoma City then last Friday against Boston — new coach Brett Brown is starting to sound like Doug Collins when talking about Allen. Brown said Allen needs to lose 8-10 pounds.
Brown, the Sixers’ coach, responded to a question about Lavoy Allen’s conditioning by saying, “He’s a C.”
Allen is in a contract year and needs to show everyone around the league he’s worth investing in. He defends pretty well, but he’s a pick-and-pop big who doesn’t like to venture inside much.
Allen has the skills to be a solid NBA rotation player, but that all starts with conditioning. If he gets that in order we’ll see what else he can do — on this thin Sixers’ roster he is going to get the opportunities.
- Finally the NBA playoff match ups are set 12
- PBT Extra: Giving out MVP, end of season awards 4
- Report: Sale of Milwaukee Bucks for record $550 million agreed upon, team to stay in Milwaukee 38
- Playoff Chase: Seven meaningful games on final night of NBA season 17
- 2014 PBT Awards: Most Improved Player 23