Sixers’ coach Brown wants Lavoy Allen to lose 8-10 pounds

Oct 14, 2013, 11:30 AM EDT

Lavoy Allen AP

Last season, then Sixers coach Doug Collins was constantly asking for more energy, more consistent effort out of Lavoy Allen. By the end of the season Allen had faded from Collins’ rotation and it felt like a lost season.

This preseason Allen has been slowed by a knee injury, but as he works his way back into the rotation — he played in the Sixers preseason game in England against Oklahoma City then last Friday against Boston — new coach Brett Brown is starting to sound like Doug Collins when talking about Allen. Brown said Allen needs to lose 8-10 pounds.

Here is the money quote, via PhillyBurbs.com.

Brown, the Sixers’ coach, responded to a question about Lavoy Allen’s conditioning by saying, “He’s a C.”

Allen is in a contract year and needs to show everyone around the league he’s worth investing in. He defends pretty well, but he’s a pick-and-pop big who doesn’t like to venture inside much.

Allen has the skills to be a solid NBA rotation player, but that all starts with conditioning. If he gets that in order we’ll see what else he can do — on this thin Sixers’ roster he is going to get the opportunities.

1. eternallyill - Oct 14, 2013 at 12:04 PM

2. misremembered72 - Oct 14, 2013 at 2:22 PM

Being a Philly guy I loved seeing Lavoy Allen, a local guy, play so well against KG at the end of his rookie year. It made me think with hard work he could be a serviceable guy in the NBA and hopefully in Philly for time to come.
    Then his second year happened which was pretty darn disheartening, and then to put the cherry on top a reporter asked what he learned this year (in reference to the 2012-2013 season) and he said, “What have I learned? I mean, what have I learned? That’s a good question. Uhh, nothing really, I didn’t have to do any rookie duties this year, so that’s good, I guess.”

And with that I wasn’t sure if he was a lazy person, disinterested or perhaps a little unintelligent but I gave up the dream of seeing Allen as a significant piece in the Sixers’ future.

At least we have a new Temple baller in Khalif Wyatt

3. officialgame - Oct 14, 2013 at 6:10 PM

“I’ll always remember him for the job he did on Kevin Garnett in the 2012 playoffs”

Remember what??? Garnet urinating on him.

4. money2long - Oct 14, 2013 at 6:14 PM

try tell this to the woman you’re with…

5. taron2in1 - Oct 14, 2013 at 9:20 PM

LOL

Why can't Lakers have a player-coach?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches