Report: Timberwolves interested in Marquis Teague also

Oct 14, 2013, 9:35 PM EDT

Chicago Bulls v Washington Wizards - NBA Global Games Rio 2013 Getty Images

For a guy in Tom Thibodeau’s doghouse, Marquis Teague has a lot of suitors around the league.

We passed along the report yesterday that the Jazz may have interest in Teague now that Trey Burkes is out for at least a couple months.

But they are not alone, reports the Chicago Tribune — you can throw the Minnesota Timberwolves in the mix as well.

Marquis Teague struggled Saturday night against the Wizards and, with the Jazz’s Trey Burke fracturing his right finger Saturday, ESPN.com speculated the Jazz could pursue trade talks for Teague. A league source said the Timberwolves also have shown interest in the past in Teague.

The Timberwolves don’t have a lot of minutes at the point behind Ricky Rubio and J.J. Barea, but they are looking for a third guy (sorry Lorenzo Brown, it may not be you) and maybe Teague is it.

Teague is still a project, but he’s just 20 years old and in his second season. In his limited playing time this preseason he has not shown any kind of leap in playmaking ability or defense from his rookie season. He can attack off the dribble as a rookie but struggled to finish those attempts, shooting less than 50 percent in the restricted area.

Teams are willing to give him a shot the Bulls and Tom Thibodeau are not. Don’t be shocked if he is moved before the season starts.

1. jnoah13 - Oct 14, 2013 at 10:29 PM

I disagree about a few things, Kurt. I don’t believe the Bulls give up Marquis and I do think he’s improved defensively. I saw more confidence on the side of the floor from him, he clearly has learned the system. Plus with Rose and Hinrich’s injury history i wouldnt feel good about giving up on teague so early. Mike James is a viable option for third string, but I see him more as a 4th string/ injury replacement kind of guy. Plus, what are you getting for teague in return? maybe a protected 1st? I dont see the value in that for the bulls. Teague reminds me a lot of Eric Bledsoe when he was drafted, an athletic point who can’t shoot. The fact that theres so much interest in him, the rest of the league sees his potential as well.

2. 00maltliquor - Oct 14, 2013 at 11:25 PM

What is it with Minnesota’s addiction to stockpiling PG’s? Rubio, Shved, Barea…where’s the room for Teague??

• humanvue - Oct 15, 2013 at 1:15 PM

Anytime Shved is the primary ball handler, the offense stops. Barea can dribble out the shot clock with the best of them when he wants to. I hope after trading away Ridnour they can find a true backup PG.

3. fballlvr22 - Oct 14, 2013 at 11:46 PM

Big Gulps huh?…welp, see ya later!

4. rickyspanish - Oct 14, 2013 at 11:52 PM

00maltliquor

I thought the same thing. I thought Kahn was fired.

• 00maltliquor - Oct 15, 2013 at 1:57 AM

Yeah, I mean, didn’t they just get rid of Ridnour (who was a solid piece while he was there) to clear up the logjam? I don’t get it. Oh well, it’s not my team (I don’t think the Lakers ever had a PG logjam ever in my life though, LOL!).

5. themagicfanguy - Oct 15, 2013 at 6:53 AM