Oct 14, 2013, 7:56 PM EDT
Let’s get this out of the way up front — Nene is not injured.
After the last few years when Nene seemed to constantly battle various injuries, whenever something out of the ordinary happened with him fans were conditioned to expect the worst. However, that is not why he stayed behind in his native Brazil after the Washington Wizards returned home, it was an approved personal reason reports J. Michael at CSNWashington.com. Nene will not play in the Wizard’s preseason game against the Heat on Tuesday.
“He’s got some family, personal matter to take care of. He won’t be here tomorrow night,” Wizards coach Randy Wittman said. “He’ll be back Wednesday.”
Hopefully this is nothing serious.
Nene wasn’t exactly impressive in his homecoming — he was 1-of-6 from the floor. Plus the Wizards lost to the Bulls 83-81. Plus his countrymen booed him.
With Emeka Okafor out indefinitely with a neck injury the Wizards are going to need a lot out of Nene early in the season. The John Wall and Bradley Beal backcourt should lead the team on offense (a lot falls on Wall), Trevor Ariza, Eric Maynor and Otto Porter (once healthy) can play good roles on the perimeter, but the Wizards need balance inside. That falls to the injury-prone Nene.
- Who is left: 15 best free agents still on the board 4
- Report: Detroit Pistons sign restricted free agent Reggie Jackson for five-years, $80 million 35
- Report: Lakers near deal to sign Brandon Bass, may trade Nick Young 32
- Spurs reset franchise for post Tim Duncan life in one impressive week 19
- Report: Lakers, Pacers reach deal to trade Roy Hibbert to LA 58
- LaMarcus Aldridge has chosen to sign with Spurs 85
- Who should Clippers get to replace DeAndre Jordan? How about Blake Griffin. 43
- Report: Tobias Harris reaches four-year, $64 million extension to stay with Orlando 25