Oct 14, 2013, 7:56 PM EDT
Let’s get this out of the way up front — Nene is not injured.
After the last few years when Nene seemed to constantly battle various injuries, whenever something out of the ordinary happened with him fans were conditioned to expect the worst. However, that is not why he stayed behind in his native Brazil after the Washington Wizards returned home, it was an approved personal reason reports J. Michael at CSNWashington.com. Nene will not play in the Wizard’s preseason game against the Heat on Tuesday.
“He’s got some family, personal matter to take care of. He won’t be here tomorrow night,” Wizards coach Randy Wittman said. “He’ll be back Wednesday.”
Hopefully this is nothing serious.
Nene wasn’t exactly impressive in his homecoming — he was 1-of-6 from the floor. Plus the Wizards lost to the Bulls 83-81. Plus his countrymen booed him.
With Emeka Okafor out indefinitely with a neck injury the Wizards are going to need a lot out of Nene early in the season. The John Wall and Bradley Beal backcourt should lead the team on offense (a lot falls on Wall), Trevor Ariza, Eric Maynor and Otto Porter (once healthy) can play good roles on the perimeter, but the Wizards need balance inside. That falls to the injury-prone Nene.
- Jim Buss open to the idea of Kobe Bryant playing beyond this season 28
- Derrick Rose on sexual assault suit: “I am confident I will be proven innocent” 2
- Report: Kyrie Irving likely not back opening night, could be out until January 14
- Legendary Sixer, backboard-shattering dunker Darryl Dawkins dies at 58 14
- After Rio Olympics next summer, who takes over at Team USA coach? 8
- Kobe, Shaq discuss regrets over feud that ended their Lakers era 49
- NBA fines Clippers for attempting to circumvent salary cap with DeAndre Jordan 10