Oct 14, 2013, 7:56 PM EDT
Let’s get this out of the way up front — Nene is not injured.
After the last few years when Nene seemed to constantly battle various injuries, whenever something out of the ordinary happened with him fans were conditioned to expect the worst. However, that is not why he stayed behind in his native Brazil after the Washington Wizards returned home, it was an approved personal reason reports J. Michael at CSNWashington.com. Nene will not play in the Wizard’s preseason game against the Heat on Tuesday.
“He’s got some family, personal matter to take care of. He won’t be here tomorrow night,” Wizards coach Randy Wittman said. “He’ll be back Wednesday.”
Hopefully this is nothing serious.
Nene wasn’t exactly impressive in his homecoming — he was 1-of-6 from the floor. Plus the Wizards lost to the Bulls 83-81. Plus his countrymen booed him.
With Emeka Okafor out indefinitely with a neck injury the Wizards are going to need a lot out of Nene early in the season. The John Wall and Bradley Beal backcourt should lead the team on offense (a lot falls on Wall), Trevor Ariza, Eric Maynor and Otto Porter (once healthy) can play good roles on the perimeter, but the Wizards need balance inside. That falls to the injury-prone Nene.
- Portland comes from 10 down in fourth quarter to win 99-92, stay alive in series 0
- Bucks stay alive behind big backcourt performance to force Game 6 vs. Bulls 10
- Incredible 35-point performance from Deron Williams leads Nets to overtime Game 4 win over Hawks 9
- PBT Extra with NBASavant.com: Wizard’s defense peaking at right time 2
- Report: Chandler Parsons to have knee surgery, could require microfracture surgery 6
- Cavaliers’ J.R. Smith gets two-game suspension for shot to Jae Crowder’s head 38
- PBT Extra with NBASavant.com: Draymond Green helped hold Anthony Davis in relative check 6
- Cavaliers’ Kevin Love out for entire conference semifinals (likely vs. Bulls) 15