Oct 14, 2013, 7:56 PM EST
Let’s get this out of the way up front — Nene is not injured.
After the last few years when Nene seemed to constantly battle various injuries, whenever something out of the ordinary happened with him fans were conditioned to expect the worst. However, that is not why he stayed behind in his native Brazil after the Washington Wizards returned home, it was an approved personal reason reports J. Michael at CSNWashington.com. Nene will not play in the Wizard’s preseason game against the Heat on Tuesday.
“He’s got some family, personal matter to take care of. He won’t be here tomorrow night,” Wizards coach Randy Wittman said. “He’ll be back Wednesday.”
Hopefully this is nothing serious.
Nene wasn’t exactly impressive in his homecoming — he was 1-of-6 from the floor. Plus the Wizards lost to the Bulls 83-81. Plus his countrymen booed him.
With Emeka Okafor out indefinitely with a neck injury the Wizards are going to need a lot out of Nene early in the season. The John Wall and Bradley Beal backcourt should lead the team on offense (a lot falls on Wall), Trevor Ariza, Eric Maynor and Otto Porter (once healthy) can play good roles on the perimeter, but the Wizards need balance inside. That falls to the injury-prone Nene.
- Carmelo Anthony on the Knicks: “The fans are dying, we’re dying” 10
- Rockets officially sign Josh Smith, who will play Friday night; waive Tarik Black 6
- Clippers win ‘nice, boring’ Christmas Day battle with Warriors 1
- Miami fans give LeBron warm welcome, Heat team not so much in upset win 24
- Russell Westbrook inspires Thunder to skid-stopping win over Spurs 8
- LeBron James, Stephen Curry leading in early All-Star voting returns 30
- PBT Christmas Day preview: Late game between Clippers and Warriors will see league’s best rivalry renewed 1
- PBT Extra: Top 5 NBA stories of 2014 0