Oct 14, 2013, 7:56 PM EDT
Let’s get this out of the way up front — Nene is not injured.
After the last few years when Nene seemed to constantly battle various injuries, whenever something out of the ordinary happened with him fans were conditioned to expect the worst. However, that is not why he stayed behind in his native Brazil after the Washington Wizards returned home, it was an approved personal reason reports J. Michael at CSNWashington.com. Nene will not play in the Wizard’s preseason game against the Heat on Tuesday.
“He’s got some family, personal matter to take care of. He won’t be here tomorrow night,” Wizards coach Randy Wittman said. “He’ll be back Wednesday.”
Hopefully this is nothing serious.
Nene wasn’t exactly impressive in his homecoming — he was 1-of-6 from the floor. Plus the Wizards lost to the Bulls 83-81. Plus his countrymen booed him.
With Emeka Okafor out indefinitely with a neck injury the Wizards are going to need a lot out of Nene early in the season. The John Wall and Bradley Beal backcourt should lead the team on offense (a lot falls on Wall), Trevor Ariza, Eric Maynor and Otto Porter (once healthy) can play good roles on the perimeter, but the Wizards need balance inside. That falls to the injury-prone Nene.
- James Harden: “Dwight and I are the cornerstones of the Rockets. The rest of the guys are role players.” 11
- Mavericks signing Al-Farouq Aminu to two-year, minimum salary contract 8
- Report: Ballmer’s $2 billion Clippers offer nearly double what Bank of America valued team at 14
- Report: Jameer Nelson near $2.7 million deal to join Dallas Mavericks 16
- Report: Mavericks void Rashard Lewis’ contract after it’s discovered he needs knee surgery 13
- Report: Sixers, Nuggets or Celtics could become third team in Kevin Love trade to Cavaliers 48
- Five biggest surprises from Summer League 14
- Justin Bieber and Kevin Durant share brunch (photo) 23