Oct 14, 2013, 8:00 AM EST
There’s still no timetable for his return, but for Kobe Bryant fans — and for the Lakers playoff hopes — Monday in China was a good day.
Kobe said he was very close to practicing on the court with the team.
After suggesting he would practice, Kobe ran around the concourse of the arena in China Monday where the rest of the Lakers did practice in preparation for a preseason game. Kobe did say that if this were the playoffs he could be out there, speaking with Kevin Ding of Bleacher Report.
“if today was a playoff or NBA Finals [game], could I play? Probably….
“I haven’t had any pain or any soreness whatsoever. It’s kind of a flexibility thing, and getting the range of motion back—feel like you can bend without having to lift the heel up. After months of the tendon being compressed, now you have to work to stretch it out a little bit.”
Just a reminder that this is Kobe Bryant and you’re human laws of recovery or physics do not apply to him.
Will he really be ready to go in 15 days for the Lakers opener against the Clippers? Who knows? It feels like a “no,” that is too soon, but again your laws of recovery do not apply to Kobe.
There is no doubt the Lakers need him. Frankly, they need vintage Kobe to make the playoffs in a deep Western Conference.
- Brandon Jennings leaves game in wheelchair, may have torn Achilles 8
- LaMarcus Aldridge decides to delay surgery, will return for Blazers Saturday vs. Wizards 7
- WATCH: Kobe Bryant’s doctor explains diagnosis to him following exam of injured shoulder 11
- Report: Cavaliers players say they ‘had lost faith’ due to lack of depth and roster construction 45
- Kobe Bryant will be back next season, he can’t resist the challenge 20
- Klay Thompson sets NBA record with 37 point quarter (VIDEO) 36
- If injury is serious, it would go against history for Kobe to be productive again 17
- Sixers’ leading scorer Tony Wroten suffers partially torn ACL, likely done for season 13