Iman Shumpert trims flattop from existence

Oct 14, 2013, 10:46 AM EDT

I’ve previously mocked the idea of the Knicks starting anyone but Iman Shumpert, who seemed to have clearly earned the job last season and done nothing to lose it.

No more.

Start J.R. Smith. Start Tim Hardaway Jr. Start Chris Douglas-Roberts. Start Toure Murry. I don’t care.

Shumpert is really tempting fate with this haircut. His flattop was one of the NBA’s best dos, and the league is a worse place without it.

1. lsoreal - Oct 14, 2013 at 11:01 AM

I was personally hoping for a Gumby this year (Bobby Brown Circa 1989).

2. di3i - Oct 14, 2013 at 11:06 AM

So he plays the 2012-13 season with a flattop, but doesn’t have one in 2K13, making everyone mad.
    Everyone’s happy he has a flattop in 2K14, but now it’s gone in real life.
    C’mon Iman, just talk to 2K and let them know what you’ll be doing with your hair.

3. miamatt - Oct 14, 2013 at 11:24 AM

It was finally time to concede the race to Norris Cole. Cole, in turn, now will have to defend his crown against Nerlens Noel.

4. legend30 - Oct 14, 2013 at 1:11 PM

I know Michael Beasley doesn’t have a flattop, but why can’t he cut off his cornrows? Like who still have cornrows? #BeasleyShaveOffTheCornrows

• reb702 - Oct 14, 2013 at 4:26 PM

Kawhi Leonard still has cornrows.

• legend30 - Oct 14, 2013 at 8:16 PM

Yeah, you’re right. I would just like these professional athletes to look professional. I mean they do get paid millions, the least they could do is not look like a bum.

• mannyfresh209 - Oct 15, 2013 at 1:07 AM

legend30

They look like PROFESSIONALS to me in those jerseys they’re getting paid to wear. In my opinion, anyways…

5. 5xchamp24 - Oct 14, 2013 at 1:18 PM

name me one nba (superstar, great player) other than iverson, who looked for attention by sporting some kind of weird looking hair style. my point, is that players should be focusing on improving there game and winning, rather than looking for attention. rodman, birdman, cole, d gooden, a mason, bynum, artest, scot pollard, i could go on and on.

• lmoneyfresh - Oct 14, 2013 at 3:28 PM

Yeah, because a 30 minute haircut is really going to take away from improving his game.

And say what you will about Rodman, he was one of the best rebounders the game has ever seen. And at 6-7 no less.

• skinzfan21 - Oct 14, 2013 at 3:38 PM

I couldnt agree with you more! I’ve said it for years, these players should work on their game instead of worrying about the title of “who’s hair is the coolest”…… cut the crap and work on your craft! Some may think it’s meaningless but you can’t name one star in any sport with a goofy hairdo……and that’s no coincidence, because the stars are more worried about being normal and working hard at their craft

• jpstyles314 - Oct 15, 2013 at 1:00 AM

I get what saying. Steve Nash was strictly professional with his hair, and Kobe didn’t cut his hair because of his hairline. Same can be said for Dirk, Bird, Dr. J, Harden, Ewing, the better Bosh (Raptors), early Melo (Nuggets), Rubio, I could go on and on.

• mannyfresh209 - Oct 15, 2013 at 1:08 AM

Carmelo Anthony?

6. ProBasketballPundit - Oct 14, 2013 at 1:21 PM

Time for an NBA 2k14 update.

7. jimeejohnson - Oct 14, 2013 at 8:36 PM

Not even necessary to look at his head without the flat top. He’s getting bad advice.

8. ironpeddler255 - Oct 15, 2013 at 9:06 AM

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo……….bring back ‘Eraser Head’!

Will LeBron get booed Christmas Day in Miami?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches