Oct 13, 2013, 8:00 AM EST
Team personnel made sure to point out that this was simply a precautionary measure; there was nothing structurally wrong with Rose’s knee, and no MRI was scheduled.
Rose seemed to confirm the lack of severity to his condition after the game had finished, when he told reporters that he could have played, but the front office made the decision to hold him out.
“I’m good,” Rose said. “I could’ve played, but the front office made the decision to sit me out. I can’t complain about it. It’s nothing huge. I know that I should be able to go next game.” …
“If there’s soreness, then we’re going to rest,” [Bulls GM Gar Forman] said. “Any time you’re dealing with any type of injury or soreness you’re concerned. But it’s not a major red flag or huge concern.”
Rose said he knows he will be ready for the regular-season opener in just more than two weeks against the Heat and added he wasn’t startled or nervous about this speed bump.
“You wouldn’t expect it to happen,” he said. “But when it does happen, you can’t be down on it. I know that it’s feeling better day-by-day. I’m just trying to stay positive.”
Given the fact that Rose missed all of last season with the knee injury, anything related to it that causes him to miss time in the future will undoubtedly be highly scrutinized. But it is just the preseason, which makes it the perfect time for Rose to get this type of thing out of the way before the real games begin.
- Thursday night NBA Grades: Mike Woodson is allowed to exhale 0
- Knicks snap nine-game losing streak by crushing depleted Nets 1
- David Stern issues statement on passing of Nelson Mandela, players take to twitter 6
- Kobe Bryant sounds close to return, will not offer specific date 5
- Knicks and Nets might not remain so mockable for long, so enjoy it while you can 14
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (64)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (42)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (41)
- Kobe Bryant dunks, looks good in Lakers practice; Friday return possible (38)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (36)