Oct 12, 2013, 2:00 PM EDT
The Royce White saga entered a new chapter on Friday, when the troubled former first round draft pick of the Rockets made his debut for the Sixers.
Although it was only the preseason, it marked the first time White had played NBA minutes this year (he did play in the preseason last year). He struggled in Houston during his rookie season not only with a debilitating anxiety disorder that comes with it a well-documented fear of flying, but also with the organization on how he should be handled.
White eventually played 16 games in the D-League, and averaged 11.4 points, 5.7 rebounds, and 3.3 assists in 25.6 minutes per contest. Not amazing numbers at that level by any stretch, but it was a start. The same could be said for White’s Sixers debut, although his performance there was far below average.
From Jason Wolf of USA Today:
White (6-8, 260) finished with five points, three rebounds and five personal fouls in just less than 10 minutes on the court. The power forward picked up his first four fouls in less than three minutes in the first quarter, two while trying to set picks.
“I was happy to be out there,” White said. “I didn’t think I played well. I’m still not making plays that are routine for me … but it’s just a feel thing, getting a feel back.”
If nothing else, White was honest in his self-assessment.
Put simply, White was mostly brutal in his 9:40 on the court. In addition to the ridiculous number of fouls in such a short span, he ran around largely without purpose, and the four shots he missed out of his six attempts were wildly inaccurate, without even the slightest chance of falling through the net.
The bright side for White is that he isn’t deluding himself about how much he needs to improve, so with some hard work he may be able to reach the potential that GM Sam Hinkie sees in him. It’s also worth noting that given the roster construction and lack of expectations to win this season, if White is ever going to find success at the NBA level, Philadelphia and the patience they’ll have with him this season is undoubtedly the place.
- Kevin Durant has grown close with Karl Malone 5
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Philadelphia 76ers 3
- Steve Kerr said Danny Ferry made mistake but is a “man of high character” 17
- LeBron James on Kyrie Irving: “I believe Kyrie can be the best point guard in the league.” 20
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Boston Celtics 4
- Dwight Howard’s driver’s license in Florida suspended, he racked up 10 red light violations in Orlando 15
- Tim Duncan to appear in “The Punisher” comic book 6
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: New York Knicks 10