Oct 12, 2013, 7:58 PM EDT
If Brooklyn is going to be a contender this season — and there is that potential — a plethora of things need to break their way. On that list is a healthy and playing at his peak Deron Williams — this is still his team. He is the best player and he has to lead.
Which is why Saturday’s comments from coach Jason Kidd about Williams should worry Nets fans a little.
Williams has been battling a sprained ankle that has restricted him all through training camp it looks like that could linger beyond into the season, Kidd told ESPNNewYork.com.
“But we’re not rushing him. So if we have to start the season with him still trying to get better, I think we all feel comfortable, but we would feel a little bit more comfortable if he was starting.”
Williams has said previously he planned to miss the first four Nets preseason games at least but expected to play in the season opener. The thing about ankle injuries though is they can linger, and Brooklyn doesn’t want this lingering around when the games mattter..
Brooklyn is counting on some vintage, “I’m pissed at Jerry Sloan but will take out my frustrations on the other team” D-Will play to lift them up to contender status (they need a few other things, too, but that is another discussion). He’s not going to play like his vintage self if he is slowed by ankle, so the right move is to rest him now.
However one of the other things this team needs is to jell as a unit and that is not happening without D-Will on the court and playing a lot. Him missing the start of the season would be a setback.
- Steve Nash called Kobe Bryant a “mother f****** a******” but in a good way 0
- USA Basketball announces 12 man roster for World Cup; Parsons, Hayward, Lillard, Korver cut 16
- USA Basketball cruises to exhibition win over Puerto Rico with final roster cuts looming 1
- Report: Timberwolves to end up with Thad Young, Anthony Bennett as part of Kevin Love trade 79
- Adam Silver: NBA stars playing in international competition face ‘a big risk’ 13
- Derrick Rose says he’ll play Friday vs. Puerto Rico 16
- Report: Don’t be so sure on Anthony Bennett to Philadelphia rumors 54
- Report: Nike gets chance to match 10-year, $265 million offer to Kevin Durant from Under Armour 18