Oct 12, 2013, 12:01 AM EDT
Michael Beasley was caught on video punching himself in the head a couple of times after a missed shot during the Heat’s preseason win over the Pistons on Thursday, and he received treatment from team trainers following the game to reduce swelling above his eye.
Putting two and two together, it was originally believed that Beasley inflicted the damage upon himself. The team wanted to make it clear a day later that despite appearances, that simply wasn’t the case.
But Beasley, Heat coach Erik Spoelstra and team officials said the wound above Beasley’s right eye was the result of an inadvertent blow he took from Pistons forward Jonas Jerebko as he attempted to block a shot in the third quarter, not from a self-inflicted punch.
“I watched the video and it does look like I knocked the mess out of myself,” Beasley said before Friday’s preseason game against the Charlotte Bobcats at the Sprint Center. “I had everybody in the world calling me and asking, ‘Why you so crazy?'”
So essentially, this day for Beasley was no different than any other.
- Cavaliers sold Kyrie Irving on contract extension with LeBron James-Kevin Love plan 32
- Kevin Love says Timberwolves owner should focus on his own team following trade to Cavaliers 32
- Iman Shumpert excited to play in triangle offense because he won’t just have to stand in the corner 6
- Timberwolves owner: Kevin Love might regret trade because he’ll be third banana with Cavaliers 48
- Anthony Davis and Kenneth Faried lead Team USA in final World Cup tune-up 20
- Thunder trade Hasheem Thabeet to 76ers 37
- From late-arriving to a LeBron James favorite, Kevin Love comes full circle 17
- Clippers trade Jared Dudley and first rounder to Bucks for Carlos Delfino and Miroslav Raduljica 23