Oct 12, 2013, 12:30 PM EDT
Harrison Barnes started 81 games as a rookie for the Warriors last season, and his explosiveness and athleticism on both ends of the floor were among the reasons the team exceeded expectations by getting to the second round of the playoffs.
Health has been an ongoing concern in Golden State in recent years, so with Barnes experiencing problems with his left foot so early in the exhibition season, it’s no surprise that the Warriors are taking the cautious approach and shutting him down for the next couple of games during the team’s visit to China.
Warriors forward Harrison Barnes likely won’t play the two exhibition games in China next week. Golden State is deciding to rest Barnes so the inflammation in his left foot will subside.
According to a team official, Barnes does not have a condition, such as plantar fasciitis, and the ailment is something that just developed over time. Barnes was in the gym more than any player in the month leading up to training camp, and word coming out of Golden State is his injury is just a byproduct of that.
The expectation in Warriors world is that Barnes’ injury is nothing to be too worried about. But given the injury history, all fingers are crossed.
The Warriors are projected to be in the mix (with five other teams) to compete for the Western Conference crown, especially with other players like David Lee and Andrew Bogut expected to be 100 percent for the start of the season, along with the addition of Andre Iguodala to an already potent lineup.
They’ll need Barnes to be healthy, too, in order for that to happen, so fans in the Bay will just have to hope that the injury plague stays away from their exciting team for once, at least for the upcoming season.
- Report: Cavaliers last team standing in Kevin Love trade talks 0
- Pat Riley says he didn’t think LeBron was leaving, Heat can turn around quickly 28
- Coach K on Rose: “Derrick’s played great, not good, and hasn’t held anything back” 17
- Report: Anthony Bennett pulled from pro-am by agent, possibly due to his inclusion in Kevin Love trade talks 42
- Report: Sixers fighting against immediate changes to NBA Draft Lottery system 56
- Team USA going small ball, but how many bigs do they keep on the bench? 4
- Report: LeBron James more popular than he ever was with the Heat 15
- Durant says 2014 USA team better than 2010 version that won gold 6