Oct 12, 2013, 9:30 AM EDT
When the Cavaliers selected Anthony Bennett with the number one overall pick in this summer’s draft, the move came as a bit of a surprise.
Truth be told, there was no obvious, clear-cut choice to be made, but Bennett was recovering from shoulder surgery, so teams didn’t get a chance to see him during the combine or in pre-draft workouts.
Cleveland took a chance, and while it’ll be a long time before we know if it ultimately pays off, Bennett showed flashes of what the Cavaliers saw in him during the team’s preseason win over the Magic.
Bennett scored 14 of his 16 points in the fourth quarter, and while he said he was struggling to get himself into NBA shape, there was certainly no sign of fatigue in this one, as he dropped in six of seven shots playing all but 20 seconds of the final period.
- Will Miami make a run at Kevin Durant? 14
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 6
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 10
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 27
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 4
- Jim Buss defends Byron Scott as Lakers coach, “He has the Laker blood in him” 24
- Jim Buss open to the idea of Kobe Bryant playing beyond this season 32