Oct 12, 2013, 9:30 AM EDT
When the Cavaliers selected Anthony Bennett with the number one overall pick in this summer’s draft, the move came as a bit of a surprise.
Truth be told, there was no obvious, clear-cut choice to be made, but Bennett was recovering from shoulder surgery, so teams didn’t get a chance to see him during the combine or in pre-draft workouts.
Cleveland took a chance, and while it’ll be a long time before we know if it ultimately pays off, Bennett showed flashes of what the Cavaliers saw in him during the team’s preseason win over the Magic.
Bennett scored 14 of his 16 points in the fourth quarter, and while he said he was struggling to get himself into NBA shape, there was certainly no sign of fatigue in this one, as he dropped in six of seven shots playing all but 20 seconds of the final period.
- If traded before World Cup starts could Kevin Love still play for USA? Colangelo said it’s possible. 2
- Anthony Davis steps into spotlight, is Team USA’s lynchpin 17
- Referee Violet Palmer comes out publicly as gay 42
- Report: Cavaliers last team standing in Kevin Love trade talks 88
- Pat Riley says he didn’t think LeBron was leaving, Heat can turn around quickly 60
- Coach K on Rose: “Derrick’s played great, not good, and hasn’t held anything back” 30
- Report: Anthony Bennett pulled from pro-am by agent, possibly due to his inclusion in Kevin Love trade talks 43
- Report: Sixers fighting against immediate changes to NBA Draft Lottery system 59