Oct 12, 2013, 9:30 PM EST
The Warriors overachieved last year by reaching the second round of the playoffs, and did so without a full complement of healthy players.
The expectations are even higher entering this season, with the addition of Andre Iguodala in free agency and most of the key pieces anticipated to be 100 percent by the time the regular season begins.
Andrew Bogut, however, cautions not to believe the hype just yet. Entering his ninth NBA season, Bogut has had high expectations placed on his teams before, only to see everything come crashing down.
The media are showing unprecedented interest. Fans are hyped for another playoff run. Analysts and experts are predicting success. It all sounds good.
“Everyone is blowing us up,” Bogut said before the team took off to China. “But we’ve only had one good year the last five or six. We still have a lot to prove. … We’re not going sprinkle some dust on the roster and sweep everybody in the playoffs and win a championship. There’s a process, and it takes a lot of hard work and commitment.”
“I’ve been on some talented teams in Milwaukee,” he said. “We had some years where it was very similar to this. … The media was saying the same thing, and we absolutely bombed from the added pressure. So I’ve been in that situation before, and I respect the process. We’re not there yet. We’ve got work to do.”
These comments could simply be intended as a message to Bogut’s teammates more than anything else.
The Warriors haven’t looked good early in the preseason, and no matter what those on the outside may be projecting, nothing is going to get accomplished without the team working together to reach its goals. Health will of course play an important role as it always does, and Harrison Barnes is out right now while dealing with a foot injury.
- Pistons release Josh Smith. WHAT? 32
- Lakers may give Kobe Bryant some nights off to rest. If he wants them. 24
- PBT’s Sunday Night Winners/Losers: Anthony Davis is playing like an MVP 11
- Sources: Kings prefer George Karl, not serious about hiring Mark Jackson 8
- Nuggets Danilo Gallinari has meniscus tear in right knee, out three weeks after surgery 7
- Rajon Rondo was very Rondoesque in debut with Mavericks (VIDEO) 20
- Report: Kings discussing trade for Deron Williams with Nets 14
- Report: Multiple teams contacting Suns trying to trade for Goran Dragic 10