Oct 11, 2013, 11:59 AM EDT
Steve Nash didn’t play the final three quarters of the Lakers preseason loss in Las Vegas to the Kings because of his ankle. It didn’t loosen up well during warm-ups, yet he started the game and played 8:34 minutes where he took one three (missed it), dished out a couple of assists, then went to the bench not to return.
No big deal, it’s preseason, resting Nash and letting the young guys run makes sense. We’re not going to see this during the regular season, right?
“I’m not concerned,” D’Antoni said. “I think this will happen on and off on all year. But he’s going to give you a good season and good stuff. But we have to take care of him.”
Nash’s said ankle has been bothering him since before training camp started and it has gotten a little better, at least it had before Thursday. Now the Lakers are off to China for games, where Nash hopes to play.
Nash is 39 and will turn 40 in February. So maybe if I were D’Antoni I’d be a little concerned.
There are plenty of Lakers fans — plus a few prognosticators, some on this site — who see the Lakers as a potential playoff team in the West. I don’t because of things like this. The Lakers just have no margin for error to make the postseason in a deep West. They need Nash to be healthy all season, they need Kobe Bryant to come back early from his Achilles injury (which seems likely) and be close to his old self, they need Pau Gasol to stay healthy and be dominant around the paint (and not get traded mid-season), they need role players like Jodie Meeks to step up big, and they need to find a way to play some defense.
That’s far too many “ifs” that need to go their way for me.
Nash having ankle issues that slow him and linger into the season seem the more likely scenario, the kind of death by a thousand little cuts that the Lakers just cannot overcome.
- Cavaliers coach David Blatt: ‘LeBron James is our MVP’ 7
- No Durant, what does that mean for Thunder in these playoffs? Trouble. 5
- Kevin Durant to have third foot surgery; is done for season, playoffs 28
- Goran Dragic leading feisty Heat’s playoff push 24
- NBA Draft prospect matchups to watch in NCAA Tourament this weekend 2
- Report: LeBron James frustrated with Kevin Love for not fitting in 85
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Wednesday: Kevin Love seems to be fitting in just fine suddenly 4
- It’s official: Dwight Howard will return to Rockets’ lineup Wednesday 2