Oct 11, 2013, 11:59 AM EDT
Steve Nash didn’t play the final three quarters of the Lakers preseason loss in Las Vegas to the Kings because of his ankle. It didn’t loosen up well during warm-ups, yet he started the game and played 8:34 minutes where he took one three (missed it), dished out a couple of assists, then went to the bench not to return.
No big deal, it’s preseason, resting Nash and letting the young guys run makes sense. We’re not going to see this during the regular season, right?
“I’m not concerned,” D’Antoni said. “I think this will happen on and off on all year. But he’s going to give you a good season and good stuff. But we have to take care of him.”
Nash’s said ankle has been bothering him since before training camp started and it has gotten a little better, at least it had before Thursday. Now the Lakers are off to China for games, where Nash hopes to play.
Nash is 39 and will turn 40 in February. So maybe if I were D’Antoni I’d be a little concerned.
There are plenty of Lakers fans — plus a few prognosticators, some on this site — who see the Lakers as a potential playoff team in the West. I don’t because of things like this. The Lakers just have no margin for error to make the postseason in a deep West. They need Nash to be healthy all season, they need Kobe Bryant to come back early from his Achilles injury (which seems likely) and be close to his old self, they need Pau Gasol to stay healthy and be dominant around the paint (and not get traded mid-season), they need role players like Jodie Meeks to step up big, and they need to find a way to play some defense.
That’s far too many “ifs” that need to go their way for me.
Nash having ankle issues that slow him and linger into the season seem the more likely scenario, the kind of death by a thousand little cuts that the Lakers just cannot overcome.
- Report: Timberwolves to end up with Thad Young, Anthony Bennett as part of Kevin Love trade 78
- Adam Silver: NBA stars playing in international competition face ‘a big risk’ 13
- Derrick Rose says he’ll play Friday vs. Puerto Rico 16
- Report: Don’t be so sure on Anthony Bennett to Philadelphia rumors 54
- Report: Nike gets chance to match 10-year, $265 million offer to Kevin Durant from Under Armour 18
- Should NBA coaches get NFL style challenge flags? 20
- Report: Suns discussing trade possibilities for Eric Bledsoe 36
- Report: Sixers may look to trade for Amar’e Stoudemire at this season’s deadline 32