Oct 11, 2013, 5:14 PM EDT
Horace Grant is doing his best to add to the mythology of Michael Jordan… we all might as well join in. I’ve heard Jordan turned water into wine, slayed the Nemean lion, and along with Babe the Big Blue Ox dug the Grand Canyon.
Grant is with the Bulls in Rio for an exhibition game and was asked about the tiresome today’s heat vs. Michael Jordan’s Bulls comparison (please just make it stop). What did you think Grant would say?
Here is his quote, via the Chicago Tribune, which starts off well and ends up in tedious comparison land.
“No, you can’t compare (eras),” he said. “The rules have changed so much from our days and the Heat’s days. It was more physical back then. Today you can run around without getting touched. Today, Michael Jordan would average about 45 points.”
He’s right, you can’t compare eras.
Also, I have no doubt Jordan could score 45 a game now. If they really wanted to LeBron James, Kevin Durant, pre-injury Kobe Bryant and pre-injury Derrick Rose could as well. But what those guys know — what Jordan knows — is that you can’t win that way consistently. You have to get your teammates involved. Jordan would have.
I’m fully over the LeBron vs. Jordan comparison — we don’t know LeBron’s legacy because he’s still at his peak, but LeBron likely will never match Jordan’s resume; however that is separate from the better player argument, which is always eye of the beholder — but here is Grant’s comments about Scottie Pippen saying LeBron could be the greater all around player.
“Scottie was really drinking that day when he said that,” Grant said, drawing laughter. “You can’t compare anybody to Michael. You can compare, but Michael is the best player I’ve ever seen or ever played against. Not taking anything away from Kobe (Bryant) or LeBron or Carmelo (Anthony) or even DRose, but wait until those guys get through playing. Then you can say compare the two careers.”
Exactly. We shouldn’t have this discussion until LeBron’s career (or Kobe’s or anyone’s) is over. Not that it will stop any of you in the comments.
- NBA Draft prospect matchups to watch in NCAA Tourament this weekend 2
- Report: LeBron James frustrated with Kevin Love for not fitting in 84
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Wednesday: Kevin Love seems to be fitting in just fine suddenly 4
- It’s official: Dwight Howard will return to Rockets’ lineup Wednesday 2
- Dwyane Wade on MVP race: “I would say James Harden” 27
- Report: Rockets’ Patrick Beverley has torn ligament in wrist, to decide course in 7-10 days 2
- Derrick Rose expects to be cleared for contact soon, says he feels no pain in right knee 9
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Tuesday: Warriors win Pacific Division, may win much more 20