Karl Malone doesn’t bring his gun, bow to Jazz practice. So he can focus.

Oct 10, 2013, 3:44 PM EDT

Karl Malone AP

Karl Malone is back working with the Utah Jazz as a special assistant coach — Derrick Favors, Enes Kanter and the rest of the young Jazz front line are now learning the tricks of the Mailman.

And Malone is focused on that — at least until next month and his annual hunting trip, he told Rod Sundel of KLS.com.

“To keep me from being late to practices I didn’t bring my [camouflage], gun or a bow. I left them home so my focus was to come here every day.” he said.

Probably wise.

Malone is about as old school as it gets while Favors and Kanter are very young and new school. Situation comedy level humor ensues.

“I’m not concerned with your elbow pads, your knee pads, all of your garb and your full body armor. What do you need all that for? Our soldiers need that in Iraq and they’re doing a hell of a job for us. Take all that off! We don’t need that. What I need you to do is show up and be ready to play. That’s it.

“I had one of my ‘bigs’ today and he had body armor from his thigh to his neck. I ask him what he was doing and he said he was protecting himself. I said ‘Who you protecting yourself [from]?’ There’s no sniper in this building! Man up! If you’re hurt, see the trainer and play the game.”

What really matters is if they are listening and learning (it doesn’t always work that well, remember Kareem Abdul-Jabbar and Andrew Bynum). Malone said the first day was rough but he comes back the next day and the guys were there early to work. That’s a good sign.

We’ll see how it starts to show on the court. Favors and Kanter could be part of a good Jazz frontcourt in a few years, if they develop. They certainly have an instructor who knows the game.

1. dls612 - Oct 10, 2013 at 4:14 PM

Karl Malone would be the perfect guest star for duck dynasty.

• redbaronx - Oct 10, 2013 at 10:51 PM

@dls612 – You called it! Great idea! It would be funny seeing Karl in a rowboat doing a duck call….lmao.

2. davidly - Oct 10, 2013 at 4:29 PM

Makes sense he’d question elbow pads for protection since he’s a guy who’s notorious for having used his elbows as a weapon.

• sportsfan18 - Oct 10, 2013 at 6:29 PM

Well when he tries to teach them to use their elbows as a weapon it wouldn’t work out too well as the bony part of the elbow would be covered up!

Gotta free them up so they may be used properly!

3. misremembered72 - Oct 10, 2013 at 4:51 PM

Soooo cringeworthy when a sports figure makes any sort of comparison with soldiers and war. Stop Karl, you’re rich and you’ve bought yourself some guns for hunting. You know nothing about war

4. phaden27 - Oct 10, 2013 at 5:17 PM

To be fair, Karl Malone has never been a fan of protection.

• 00maltliquor - Oct 10, 2013 at 5:38 PM

Zing!

• glenuendo - Oct 11, 2013 at 5:56 PM

I’m not proud to admit this, but it took longer than it should have for me to get it.

5. jimeejohnson - Oct 10, 2013 at 7:05 PM

So if he brought his hunting “tools” to the arena he might have been late? That’s Utah for you: just pull over anywhere and go hunting. Not that there’s anything wrong with that. Malone dispels the stupid notion that guys with small shlongs go for guns. I pride myself as a big shlonged marksman, by the way!

• longtallsam - Oct 10, 2013 at 10:04 PM

You seem to know a lot about Malone’s shlong!!

6. antistratfordian - Oct 11, 2013 at 4:07 AM

Cornball…

7. gmsingh123 - Oct 12, 2013 at 3:57 PM

The Mailman–one of the best players ever. Damn, the NBA was fun to watch back then.

Handing out NBA's postseason awards