Iman Shumpert playing with an edge, but not getting much love from Mike Woodson

Oct 10, 2013, 11:45 AM EST

Iman Shumpert

Iman Shumpert has started his last 62 games, including all 45 last season. Yet, Knicks coach Mike Woodson is not guaranteeing him a starting spot this season.

That seems like a motivational ploy, and if so, it’s working.

Ian Begley of ESPN New York:

Shortly after he hit his third 3-pointer of the first half on Wednesday night, Iman Shumpert walked off the court and headed to the bench with a message for his teammates.

“I’m pissed off early this year,” Shumpert yelled.

“I got a chip on my shoulder,” Shumpert said.

Woodson has to be proud his motivation plan – if that’s what it is – is yielding positive results. Shumpert is dedicated to be at his best, and now it’s time for the coach to ease up and offer a little positive reinforcement.

Woodson:

“Iman’s just playing. There’s nothing to prove to me,” he said. “In fairness to J.R., too, J.R. is a big part of what we do. He’s going to be right in the mix as soon as he comes back from his injury, so it’s going to be competitive in terms of everybody getting minutes.”

Oh.

As a reminder, that’s the J.R. Smith whom Woodson just said must grow up. That’s the J.R. Smith who waited to have surgery until signing his contract. That’s the J.R. Smith who will miss the first five games of next season due to suspension.

Shumpert is doing everything right, and he still can’t elevate himself over Smith.

Either Woodson really doesn’t trust Shumpert in the starting lineup or Woodson is going all the way with this mind game.

1. paleihe - Oct 10, 2013 at 12:24 PM

If I were JR Smith, I would have waited to sign a contract prior to surgery also.

• nygrwy - Oct 10, 2013 at 2:50 PM

Every player from every professional sport would. That isn’t rocket science.

Anyways how Woodson handles Shumpert worries me……

2. nygrwy - Oct 10, 2013 at 2:54 PM

I hate when players walk off the floor nowadays after hitting a shot with such an angry face. Its so stupid. They look like someone just killed their mother. OMG who killed my momma. I m coming for you…..

Its ok to be fired up but God they look so stupid. Hardaway looked like Van Dame after he had the powder thrown in his eyes in Blood Sport…..

3. marcusfitzhugh - Oct 10, 2013 at 4:53 PM

If scowling allows Shump to continue to shoot like that, then scowl on bruh, scowl on.

4. zoomy123 - Oct 10, 2013 at 5:23 PM

MIke Woodson is an idiot; his coaching against the Pacers was horrendous. So, his handling of Shumpert isn’t surprising.

5. jimeejohnson - Oct 10, 2013 at 7:15 PM

If Shumpert let his hair grow Walt Frazier would think it’s the 70’s again and the Knicks really do have a chance!

• archibaldnemesis - Oct 11, 2013 at 9:20 AM

dishing and swishing baby!

Who will land Josh Smith?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches