Oct 10, 2013, 1:33 PM EDT
Someone must be one year removed from high school to play in the NBA, but he must be just 18 to play in the D-League.
Right now, that doesn’t mean much. Few players go to the D-League because they’re not old enough for the NBA. They go to college.
“I’m very proud of the development league. It’s working. That march is continuing. The drumbeats I hear about colleges not liking what they refer to one-and-done . We now have a rule where the development league will accept players that are 18 and will do a better job of educating them than the college programs they are in.”
I don’t know whether the D-League or NCAA does a better job educating 18-year-olds. As I said before, not enough elite players have chosen the the D-League over college to make any definitive judgments.
But I do know neither the NCAA nor D-League does an adequate job of paying 18-year-olds. D-League salaries are too low, and college salaries are banned.
NBA owners have conspired with veteran NBA players in negotiating a Collective Bargaining Agreement that bans high school players from going pro, leaving more NBA jobs open to veteran players. And NCAA teams have conspired with each other not to pay their players, leaving more money for administrators and coaches to divvy among themselves.
Until elite 18-year-olds are paid full market value, how well they’re educated is a secondary concern.
- Elimination game Josh Smith is a thing, Rockets live to play another day 0
- Rockets show it’s better to have James Harden than to not have Stephen Curry 3
- Stephen Curry leaves game after taking a hard fall, cleared to return (VIDEO) 6
- Rumor: Paul Pierce might opt out of contract with Wizards, join Clippers 15
- Golden State Warriors vs. Houston Rockets Game 4: Three things to watch from Houston 7
- LeBron James posts triple-double, Al Horford ejected as Cavaliers take 3-0 series lead with OT Game 3 win over Hawks 30
- Kyrie Irving out for Game 3 for Cavaliers with knee tendonitis 3
- Lil B says James Harden is officially under the Based God’s curse 31