Oct 10, 2013, 1:03 PM EDT
Brendan Haywood is not a central figure for the Bobcats this season, all they want from him is a few solid defensive minutes a night off the bench behind Al Jefferson, splitting time with Bismack Biyombo.
Now they are going to have to wait for even that.
Haywood is expected to be out more than 12 weeks following surgery to repair a stress fracture in left foot, the team announced Thursday. The fracture is in the navicular bone, which is at the top of the foot in the middle, and Haywood will need to screws to secure it, the team said. He will be in a boot for three months then be re-evaluated.
It means it will be 2014 before we see Haywood on the court.
Haywood played a limited role off the bench for Charlotte last season, getting in 61 games (starting 17) and averaging 19 minutes when he did play. There isn’t much offense there (he shot 43.5 percent as a center) but what they wanted was good post defense and an elder statesman in the locker room during the transition. Be a professional, show the younger players how to do it by example.
Now he can show them how to recover from a serious injury like a pro.
- Report: Tobias Harris reaches four-year, $64 million extension to stay with Orlando 0
- Report: Rajon Rondo agrees to one-year, $9.5 million deal with Sacramento Kings 32
- Report: DeAndre Jordan agrees to four-year, $80 million deal to join Dallas Mavericks 47
- Report: Kings signing Marco Belinelli to three-year, $19 million contract 16
- Report: Knicks to sign Robin Lopez to four-year, $54 million contract (unless DeAndre Jordan changes his mind) 9
- PBT Extra: Free agent signings we didn’t love 6
- Report: Wes Matthews reaches agreement to join Dallas Mavericks 23
- PBT Extra: Five best free agent signings in the first days of free agency 11