Oct 9, 2013, 6:53 PM EST
“I gotta get my fat ass back in shape too!”
Kobe said he needs about three weeks of “rigorous conditioning.” Not so coincidentally, it is about three weeks until the start of the NBA season. He also said he hasn’t done anything explosive yet and only light jumping. He is running at 100 percent body weight now, which is a good sign. But jogging on a treadmill is a continent away from the kind of running and cutting one does in a basketball game. Can Kobe cover that ground in three weeks and be ready for opening night? We’ll see.
These quotes come out of the Kobe talking to the media Wednesday, where he echoed a lot of the themes he covered on the Lakers broadcast when he spoke with Mike Trudell Tuesday. No, he has no timeline for his return. No, he does not know if he’ll be ready opening night, he just wants to keep his options open. Yes, he feels ahead of schedule. No, he hasn’t had any soreness since his return.
- Report: George Karl controls Kings’ personnel, wants Ty Lawson, willing to move DeMarcus Cousins 26
- Paul George returns to practice with Pacers, could play in couple weeks 7
- Report: LeBron James wonders why he doesn’t get more MVP consideration 39
- Would Rajon Rondo leave the Mavericks for the Lakers? 57
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Wednesday: The Spurs losing rodeo road trip a bad sign 11
- PBT Extra: What is future for Derrick Rose? Bulls? 13
- Mavericks suspend Rajon Rondo one game after argument with coach Rick Carlisle 43
- Derrick Rose is hurt again. Where do the Bulls go from here? 28