Oct 9, 2013, 6:53 PM EST
“I gotta get my fat ass back in shape too!”
Kobe said he needs about three weeks of “rigorous conditioning.” Not so coincidentally, it is about three weeks until the start of the NBA season. He also said he hasn’t done anything explosive yet and only light jumping. He is running at 100 percent body weight now, which is a good sign. But jogging on a treadmill is a continent away from the kind of running and cutting one does in a basketball game. Can Kobe cover that ground in three weeks and be ready for opening night? We’ll see.
These quotes come out of the Kobe talking to the media Wednesday, where he echoed a lot of the themes he covered on the Lakers broadcast when he spoke with Mike Trudell Tuesday. No, he has no timeline for his return. No, he does not know if he’ll be ready opening night, he just wants to keep his options open. Yes, he feels ahead of schedule. No, he hasn’t had any soreness since his return.
- He’s on Fire! Kyrie Irving scores 55, knocks down game winning three (VIDEO) 28
- LeBron James out Wednesday vs. Blazers with wrist injury 5
- Home-court advantage means less than ever in NBA. Why? 17
- Nikola Mirotic’s unique style rewarding Bulls for waiting on him 15
- What We Learned in NBA Tuesday Night: Bulls fans should want more of this attacking Derrick Rose 25
- Derrick Rose hits step-back jumper in overtime, lifts Bulls past Warriors (VIDEO) 8
- It’s official: Zach LaVine, Greek Freak Antetokounmpo headline All-Star Dunk Contest 11
- Report: Stephen Curry, Klay Thompson to participate in All-Star weekend’s Three-Point Contest 8