Oct 9, 2013, 2:36 PM EDT
You have to feel for the Wizards and their fans. They entered training camp flush with “we might actually make the playoffs” hopes, something fueled by players and even the owner. The one thing we knew was that they had to just stay healthy, particularly along the front line.
Now Nene, who has battled foot and knee issues for years but is supposed to have a clean bill of health, says this to J. Michael of CSNWashington.com after the Wizards preseason loss to the Nets Tuesday night.
“My knee is still sore. My foot still hurts a little bit. Just trying to push (through),” said Nene, who didn’t play basketball during the off-season and opted for rehabilitation. “The therapy is making me feel better.”
Just great. What Nene is hoping for is fewer minutes (he played 22 Tuesday).
“No, no no no,” Nene said quickly to CSN Washington, though with a smile, about playing more Saturday when the Wizards face the Chicago Bulls in Rio de Janeiro. “I don’t worry about minutes even in Brazil because I’m a pro. I don’t want to get sore, get hurt. I still have a couple of issues. Just because I feel better, they think I feel great but they’re wrong. We need to reduce (it) a couple minutes.”
Washington can reduce Nene’s minutes, all they need to do is get more out of Trevor Booker… except he has only been cleared for non-contract drills due to his knee. Well, there’s Chris Singleton… oh, he has a broken foot.
Basically Washington is left with Jan Vesely, Al Harrington and Kevin Seraphin. What could go wrong? Those guys can totally match up with that Pistons front court and beat Detroit out of one of those last playoff spots in the East… yes, I guess the Wizards really do need a healthy Nene.
Well, it’s the preseason. Let the Wizards dream.
- Report: Anthony Bennett pulled from pro-am by agent, possibly due to his inclusion in Kevin Love trade talks 39
- Report: Sixers fighting against immediate changes to NBA Draft Lottery system 48
- Team USA going small ball, but how many bigs do they keep on the bench? 4
- Report: LeBron James more popular than he ever was with the Heat 14
- Durant says 2014 USA team better than 2010 version that won gold 6
- Kevin Durant knows you’re talking about his free agency but isn’t giving many clues. He liked what LeBron did. 16
- Byron Scott makes ridiculous optimism sound reasonable 44
- Derrick Rose told Carmelo Anthony that if he came to Chicago “the game would be easy” 42