Oct 9, 2013, 2:36 PM EDT
You have to feel for the Wizards and their fans. They entered training camp flush with “we might actually make the playoffs” hopes, something fueled by players and even the owner. The one thing we knew was that they had to just stay healthy, particularly along the front line.
Now Nene, who has battled foot and knee issues for years but is supposed to have a clean bill of health, says this to J. Michael of CSNWashington.com after the Wizards preseason loss to the Nets Tuesday night.
“My knee is still sore. My foot still hurts a little bit. Just trying to push (through),” said Nene, who didn’t play basketball during the off-season and opted for rehabilitation. “The therapy is making me feel better.”
Just great. What Nene is hoping for is fewer minutes (he played 22 Tuesday).
“No, no no no,” Nene said quickly to CSN Washington, though with a smile, about playing more Saturday when the Wizards face the Chicago Bulls in Rio de Janeiro. “I don’t worry about minutes even in Brazil because I’m a pro. I don’t want to get sore, get hurt. I still have a couple of issues. Just because I feel better, they think I feel great but they’re wrong. We need to reduce (it) a couple minutes.”
Washington can reduce Nene’s minutes, all they need to do is get more out of Trevor Booker… except he has only been cleared for non-contract drills due to his knee. Well, there’s Chris Singleton… oh, he has a broken foot.
Basically Washington is left with Jan Vesely, Al Harrington and Kevin Seraphin. What could go wrong? Those guys can totally match up with that Pistons front court and beat Detroit out of one of those last playoff spots in the East… yes, I guess the Wizards really do need a healthy Nene.
Well, it’s the preseason. Let the Wizards dream.
- Thursday night NBA Winners/Losers: The injury gods show Thunder no mercy 0
- No Durant, Westbrook goes down, Thunder still make it interesting but fall to Clippers 0
- Thunder’s Russell Westbrook fractures hand, out indefinitely 3
- LeBron struggles in Cleveland debut as Knicks stun Cavaliers 30
- LeBron, Cavaliers introduced on opening night in Cleveland (VIDEO) 4
- Dominant Pau Gasol shows he may be a perfect fit for Bulls 19
- Old tweets: Kevin Durant uses gay slurs (including at Russell Westbrook), Damian Lillard rips LeBron James 28
- Wednesday night’s NBA winners, losers: Chris Bosh wants you to know he is a No. 1 option 24