Derrick Rose dressed up as Duck Dynasty’s Willie Robertson. For his kid.

Oct 9, 2013, 3:32 PM EDT

source:

via beyondthebuzzer.com

source:

Via Beyondthebuzzer.com

Take my word for it, as a father you do some pretty ridiculous things for your young children. It’s just when I do it usually only my wife and a few friends are witnesses.

When you’re Derrick Rose and, I don’t know, say dress up like Willie Robertson from Duck Dynasty… or maybe that is Uncle Si and Rose is “happay, happay, happay.” Either way it ends up all over the Web.

Which is what happened from Rose’s kid’s birthday party — Beyond the Buzzer got ahold of the photos.

It gets easier Derrick, in a few years you can just give him an X-Box shaped cake.

1. nflcinbengals - Oct 9, 2013 at 4:18 PM

The BEST role model ever!

2. wlubake - Oct 9, 2013 at 4:32 PM

Is this racist? Related question: if Kevin Love dressed in costume as Flava Flav, would it be racist? Discuss among yourselves.

• chicitybulls - Oct 9, 2013 at 4:42 PM

How could it possibly be racist? Because he’s black and dressed up as a white guy? It’s not as if he colored his skin to look white. And no Kevin Love dressing up as Flava Flav would not be racist either. It only would be if he painted his skin black.

• wlubake - Oct 9, 2013 at 4:49 PM

I’m not saying either situation is racist. I actually don’t think either is. But I think if the Kevin Love one happened, there’d be a chorus calling him racist, and we’d have a Kevin Love apology. Make no mistake, I am not looking for a Derrick Rose apology.

• chicitybulls - Oct 9, 2013 at 4:54 PM

I think there’s always that irrational element. I dont think many rational, logical people would look at Love putting on a big clock and hat turned sideways with sunglasses on saying he’s Flava Flav would directly go to it being racist nor more than rational people would look at Rose and call him racist. However I think there is that irrational element that would look at both and call it racist. Those people you just pray for.

• brutl - Oct 9, 2013 at 6:36 PM

The people in the chorus are probably the ones who are racist.
        Actually, the question of race didn’t even cross my mind until I read your comments! Maybe because I’m not racist!

• antistratfordian - Oct 9, 2013 at 9:12 PM

“If you are black and think that the black face makeup is being racist, well you probably are racist, too.”

what? no.

you may not be racist, but you are confused.

• stayhigh_247 - Oct 10, 2013 at 12:28 PM

@wlubake
      no its not racist but your question makes me wonder if you are? its a dude with a costume on. are whites only suppose to wear white people costumes and black people only wear black? you sound ridiculous.why does it bother you that he bought a funny costume for his kid? who cares? you sound like someone that grew up listening to a lot of one sided race theories. btw, this is a sports blog, take that crap somewhere else fam

• wlubake - Oct 10, 2013 at 1:32 PM

My question was prompted by the article I read immediately before switching over toe PBT. It was a list of racist Halloween costumes to avoid. It included “thug” and “pimp” costumes. Just had me thinking whether the same people would consider “redneck” to be a racist costume. Then I clicked here, and sure enough, there was Derrick Rose dressed as a guy from Duck Dynasty.

I’m pretty comfortable with my perspective on race, but I appreciate your concern @stayhigh_247 (which, by the way, is a screen name that begs to be taken seriously).

3. rickyspanish - Oct 9, 2013 at 4:32 PM

No, it’s funny.

4. katra2logic - Oct 9, 2013 at 4:43 PM

Beards may be making a comeback. First James Harden, now Derrick Rose (sort of) and my daughter’s new boyfriend is growing quite a nice one. Cheers :-)

5. wwttww - Oct 9, 2013 at 4:44 PM

That’s so great!

6. dadawg77 - Oct 9, 2013 at 4:54 PM

A black guy dressing up as white guy even if he used makeup doesn’t have the same racist history as black face on vaudeville does. Hence why one is completely offensive and one isn’t. If you white and want to do that well sorry ignorant white people ruined that for you.

• highpowered350 - Oct 9, 2013 at 6:22 PM

And if a black person wants to walk down the streets of NYC and not be thrown against the wall and checked for weapons well sorry ignorant black people ruined that for you.

• brutl - Oct 9, 2013 at 6:41 PM

And both of you are backwards as hell

• detectivejimmymcnulty - Oct 9, 2013 at 7:09 PM

Painting your face black isn’t racist in itself. I believe it’s your intent for doing it.

Now, do you remember when the article about the T’Wolves being “too white” to win? That’s racist. If someone would have wrote about a team being “too back” all hell would have broke loose.

• antistratfordian - Oct 9, 2013 at 9:40 PM

No. It can be racist even if it wasn’t intended to be, because it’s a symbol. Your intent doesn’t matter when you employ the symbol. And, frankly, you know exactly what you’re getting into when you decide to go there.

And tomes have already been written about all sorts of things being “too black.” Where do you think we come from as a nation? All hell already broke loose over that.

But at least white people don’t have to worry about getting lynched by mobs with the support of your local sheriff. I mean, cmon… there’s racist and then there’s RACIST. White Americans as a group do not know of the latter and we should all be thankful for that because there was a time when men like Thomas Jefferson thought they would quickly see that day upon the abolition of slavery.

7. philtration - Oct 9, 2013 at 8:19 PM

What the hell does this have to do with race?
    His daughter is dress like the little girl from Monsters Inc.
    Does that mean that she is racist too?

Some of you small minded fools need a reality check…. and a paycheck.

• philtration - Oct 9, 2013 at 8:21 PM

And for leaving the “ed” off of dressed I could have used a spell check.

8. gmsingh123 - Oct 9, 2013 at 8:36 PM

I’m still waiting for Derrick to dress up as somebody from the Bulls Dynasty.

9. 00maltliquor - Oct 10, 2013 at 1:50 AM

I love Duck Dynasty. It’s one of the very few shows I actually watch that isn’t sports related. That and Pawn Stars/Hardcore Pawn. That’s basically it. And Family Guy/Southpark.

• chicitybulls - Oct 10, 2013 at 9:25 AM

You’re reaaaally missing out on The Walking Dead. One of the best shows on tv.

What are impacts of NBA's new TV deal?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches