Oct 9, 2013, 1:44 PM EST
Coach Rajon Rondo?
No doubt the basketball IQ is there but does he really have the demeanor to soothe egos and cajole the best out of players?
Right how he’s trying. Sidelined while recovering from ACL surgery (there is no timetable for his return) he’s trying to help out a little with advice and coaching of his teammates — he’s been in rookie Phil Pressey’s ear for one, but there are others. Rondo is the veteran, experienced leader of these Boston Celtics, and he wants to fit into that role even while he can’t lace them up.
However, years down the line, when he can no lace them up, he might step into a coaching role, something Doc Rivers inspired him to do. That’s what Rondo said in a sit down with the media Tuesday night after formally announcing his new deal with Anta sports apparel brand. CSNNE.com has the details (via SLAM).
“I took a lot away from Doc. I still catch myself laughing at some of the things he’s told certain guys, and now me being the core leader of this team, I mimic some of the things Doc has said to guys. I’ve leaned a lot from Doc. I tried to study his ways as far as a coach because it’s something that I may want to do in the future.”
Maybe. Some guys you see as veteran players and you think “that guy could be a coach.” Brian Shaw comes to mind.
Rondo… I don’t know. But he’s also just 27, his personality could mature into a better fit by 35 and his standing in the game (he’s got a chip already) will get players’ attention. We’ll see. It’s a long way off.
Right now, what the Celtics want is Rondo the player as soon as he can go.
- Dwight Howard out at least two games with swelling in his knee 2
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Wednesday: Is this rock bottom for Oklahoma City? 4
- He’s on Fire! Kyrie Irving scores 55, knocks down game winning three (VIDEO) 47
- LeBron James out Wednesday vs. Blazers with wrist injury 6
- Home-court advantage means less than ever in NBA. Why? 18
- Nikola Mirotic’s unique style rewarding Bulls for waiting on him 16
- What We Learned in NBA Tuesday Night: Bulls fans should want more of this attacking Derrick Rose 28
- Derrick Rose hits step-back jumper in overtime, lifts Bulls past Warriors (VIDEO) 8