Oct 9, 2013, 1:44 PM EDT
Coach Rajon Rondo?
No doubt the basketball IQ is there but does he really have the demeanor to soothe egos and cajole the best out of players?
Right how he’s trying. Sidelined while recovering from ACL surgery (there is no timetable for his return) he’s trying to help out a little with advice and coaching of his teammates — he’s been in rookie Phil Pressey’s ear for one, but there are others. Rondo is the veteran, experienced leader of these Boston Celtics, and he wants to fit into that role even while he can’t lace them up.
However, years down the line, when he can no lace them up, he might step into a coaching role, something Doc Rivers inspired him to do. That’s what Rondo said in a sit down with the media Tuesday night after formally announcing his new deal with Anta sports apparel brand. CSNNE.com has the details (via SLAM).
“I took a lot away from Doc. I still catch myself laughing at some of the things he’s told certain guys, and now me being the core leader of this team, I mimic some of the things Doc has said to guys. I’ve leaned a lot from Doc. I tried to study his ways as far as a coach because it’s something that I may want to do in the future.”
Maybe. Some guys you see as veteran players and you think “that guy could be a coach.” Brian Shaw comes to mind.
Rondo… I don’t know. But he’s also just 27, his personality could mature into a better fit by 35 and his standing in the game (he’s got a chip already) will get players’ attention. We’ll see. It’s a long way off.
Right now, what the Celtics want is Rondo the player as soon as he can go.
- Kevin Durant has grown close with Karl Malone 13
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Philadelphia 76ers 3
- Steve Kerr said Danny Ferry made mistake but is a “man of high character” 23
- LeBron James on Kyrie Irving: “I believe Kyrie can be the best point guard in the league.” 20
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Boston Celtics 4
- Dwight Howard’s driver’s license in Florida suspended, he racked up 10 red light violations in Orlando 17
- Tim Duncan to appear in “The Punisher” comic book 6
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: New York Knicks 13