Coach Rajon Rondo? He says he might like that title after his playing days.

Oct 9, 2013, 1:44 PM EST

Rajon Rondo AP

Coach Rajon Rondo?

No doubt the basketball IQ is there but does he really have the demeanor to soothe egos and cajole the best out of players?

Right how he’s trying. Sidelined while recovering from ACL surgery (there is no timetable for his return) he’s trying to help out a little with advice and coaching of his teammates — he’s been in rookie Phil Pressey’s ear for one, but there are others. Rondo is the veteran, experienced leader of these Boston Celtics, and he wants to fit into that role even while he can’t lace them up.

However, years down the line, when he can no lace them up, he might step into a coaching role, something Doc Rivers inspired him to do. That’s what Rondo said in a sit down with the media Tuesday night after formally announcing his new deal with Anta sports apparel brand. CSNNE.com has the details (via SLAM).

“I took a lot away from Doc. I still catch myself laughing at some of the things he’s told certain guys, and now me being the core leader of this team, I mimic some of the things Doc has said to guys. I’ve leaned a lot from Doc. I tried to study his ways as far as a coach because it’s something that I may want to do in the future.”

Maybe. Some guys you see as veteran players and you think “that guy could be a coach.” Brian Shaw comes to mind.

Rondo… I don’t know. But he’s also just 27, his personality could mature into a better fit by 35 and his standing in the game (he’s got a chip already) will get players’ attention. We’ll see. It’s a long way off.

Right now, what the Celtics want is Rondo the player as soon as he can go.

1. nyg88 - Oct 9, 2013 at 1:46 PM

people don’t like playing with him now lol. the IQ is clearly there but he has a long way to go before he’s ready to get people to play for him.

2. johngalt1783 - Oct 9, 2013 at 2:33 PM

Too bad he has missed so much time on the court. He is a pleasure to watch play.

3. moseskkim - Oct 9, 2013 at 2:45 PM

marvin the martian

4. jimeejohnson - Oct 9, 2013 at 5:35 PM

Rondo could be the first coach to kill a referee. I’d pay to see that (yeah, right)!

5. lphboston - Oct 10, 2013 at 11:17 AM

Maybe some team’s second choice, after Latrell Sprewell.
    That said, Rondo may mature. Bird had troubles during his early stages in Boston and eventually wound up as a thoughtful spokesman. He even was a coach later, though I’m not certain how much actual coaching he did in Indiana.
    So don’t give up on Rondo as a human being. Let’s see how handles this year. Boston will be lucky to win in the high-20s, and Rondo will have to show that he’s OK with getting his butt kicked on a regular basis.
    If he can do that, and not be the donkey he has been at times in the past, then we can have the team leader-turned-possible coach discussion.

6. xLith - Oct 10, 2013 at 1:26 PM

Hell of a player no doubt. As stated, his attitude could be of concern. Although I’m sure we can dig up videos of successful coaches that were players before doing worse things. So it doesn’t mean he can’t make the transition.

7. jt1138 - Oct 10, 2013 at 2:03 PM

The only team stupid enough to hire him as a coach is the Celtics. He’d be the Lane Kiffin of the NBA (with the obvious attitude problem).

Who will land Josh Smith?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches