Oct 9, 2013, 2:13 PM EST
The good news is there is nothing broken. Two sets of X-rays found no structural damage.
But don’t expect to see Ersan Ilyasova suiting up for the Bucks for a couple of weeks or more. One of the league’s most underrated stretch fours sprained his ankle Tuesday night against the Cavaliers and had to leave the game not to return.
If you expect him to walk it off and be back soon, check out these quotes from the Journal-Sentinel after the game.
“In looking at him it was pretty severe,” (Bucks coach Larry) Drew said. “Hopefully he’s OK because right now we are really down in big men…”
“I had twisted that ankle before but never that bad,” Ilyasova said. “We’re going to have another X-ray tomorrow and we’ll see. I can’t even step on it. It hurts that much but I will get a lot of treatment and try to get back. It’s really disappointing.”
That second X-ray also came back negative. Still, a bad ankle sprain can take weeks to heal so Ilyasova could be out until around the start of the season. Officially the Bucks have no timetable for his return.
Ilyasova will be the starter at the four when he returns, but this gives John Henson a real chance to step up and prove he should get more run. Henson was going to get a chance this season anyway, now we’ll see if he can seize it.
Drew wasn’t kidding about banged up big men — Zaza Pachulia is out resting a sore Achilles and Ekpe Udoh has been slowed with knee issues. It looks like the Bucks will lean heavy for a while on the young core of Larry Sanders and Henson.
- Brook Lopez suffers broken foot, out for the season 21
- Duke’s Jabari Parker doesn’t back away from Carmelo Anthony comparison 10
- Michael Carter-Williams returns to Sixers lineup Friday against Nets 6
- Report: Bulls not looking to trade Luol Deng. Why would you think that? 16
- Kendrick Perkins tells Joakim Noah to “get your a– up out’ of Thunder locker room 36
- Kobe Bryant is out six weeks with fracture in the left knee (70)
- LeBron did foul Paul George on final shot but there was no call (VIDEO) (60)
- Chicago columnist hammers Derrick Rose as no longer humble star (56)
- Report: Heat have interest in Celtics’ Jordan Crawford (50)
- LeBron angrily goes after Mario Chalmers on the Heat bench (VIDEO) (50)