Oct 9, 2013, 8:00 AM EDT
The basketball gods continue to torment Portland, for reasons unknown.
Reports surfaced Tuesday afternoon that Portland’s Nicolas Batum had left practice after a hard fall — he had gone up for a dunk that was contested by Will Barton and ended up hitting the deck. However, it can be hard to read too much into that during the preseason as teams are cautious right now.
However the team announced later in the day that Batum suffered a concussion and would be out Wednesday against Phoenix for sure.
This means Batum has to go through the league’s concussion protocol, where he has to pass some neurological tests and get both the approval of a team doctor and an okay from a league-appointed doctor. It could be days, it could be weeks, nobody knows.
This latest injury seems to fit with the theme of the Blazers training camp, notes Chris Haynes at CSNNW.com.
LaMarcus Aldridge sustained a quad injury, Mo Williams sprained his ankle, Will Barton received a concussion, Dorell Wright dislocated his right middle finger, Earl Watson suffered a calf contusion and the worst one of them all, CJ McCollum broke his left foot.
It’s been hard times.
Hopefully for the Blazers that changes when the season begins, because they don’t have much of a lot of margin for error in a deep West if they plan to make the postseason.
- Should NBA coaches get NFL style challenge flags? 0
- Report: Suns discussing trade possibilities for Eric Bledsoe 13
- Report: Sixers may look to trade for Amar’e Stoudemire at this season’s deadline 29
- Kevin Durant reiterates that rest was his reason for withdrawing from Team USA 8
- Kobe Bryant says he will not be same player as before, says he’s evolved into something equally good 19
- Report: Agent for Greg Monroe pursued sign-and-trade deals with five teams, including Thunder and Blazers 25
- Derrick Rose sits out another Team USA practice, not likely to start Wednesday 22
- DeMarcus Cousins practices with team USA Tuesday, says he’s 50-50 for Wednesday game 2