Oct 9, 2013, 8:00 AM EDT
The basketball gods continue to torment Portland, for reasons unknown.
Reports surfaced Tuesday afternoon that Portland’s Nicolas Batum had left practice after a hard fall — he had gone up for a dunk that was contested by Will Barton and ended up hitting the deck. However, it can be hard to read too much into that during the preseason as teams are cautious right now.
However the team announced later in the day that Batum suffered a concussion and would be out Wednesday against Phoenix for sure.
This means Batum has to go through the league’s concussion protocol, where he has to pass some neurological tests and get both the approval of a team doctor and an okay from a league-appointed doctor. It could be days, it could be weeks, nobody knows.
This latest injury seems to fit with the theme of the Blazers training camp, notes Chris Haynes at CSNNW.com.
LaMarcus Aldridge sustained a quad injury, Mo Williams sprained his ankle, Will Barton received a concussion, Dorell Wright dislocated his right middle finger, Earl Watson suffered a calf contusion and the worst one of them all, CJ McCollum broke his left foot.
It’s been hard times.
Hopefully for the Blazers that changes when the season begins, because they don’t have much of a lot of margin for error in a deep West if they plan to make the postseason.
- Dwight Howard’s drivers’ license in Florida suspended, he racked up 10 red light violations in Orlando 1
- Tim Duncan to appear in “The Punisher” comic book 6
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: New York Knicks 10
- Klay Thompson’s agent: Thompson better two-way shooting guard than Kobe Bryant 47
- Report: Greg Oden’s drinking an issue during season, alleged domestic assault 29
- Kevin Durant calls Allen Iverson “pound for pound” best ever 29
- PBT Extra: What players looked good at World Cup? 4
- Time for FIBA/NBA to adopt soccer model: Only one major tournament every four years 16