Oct 9, 2013, 8:00 AM EDT
The basketball gods continue to torment Portland, for reasons unknown.
Reports surfaced Tuesday afternoon that Portland’s Nicolas Batum had left practice after a hard fall — he had gone up for a dunk that was contested by Will Barton and ended up hitting the deck. However, it can be hard to read too much into that during the preseason as teams are cautious right now.
However the team announced later in the day that Batum suffered a concussion and would be out Wednesday against Phoenix for sure.
This means Batum has to go through the league’s concussion protocol, where he has to pass some neurological tests and get both the approval of a team doctor and an okay from a league-appointed doctor. It could be days, it could be weeks, nobody knows.
This latest injury seems to fit with the theme of the Blazers training camp, notes Chris Haynes at CSNNW.com.
LaMarcus Aldridge sustained a quad injury, Mo Williams sprained his ankle, Will Barton received a concussion, Dorell Wright dislocated his right middle finger, Earl Watson suffered a calf contusion and the worst one of them all, CJ McCollum broke his left foot.
It’s been hard times.
Hopefully for the Blazers that changes when the season begins, because they don’t have much of a lot of margin for error in a deep West if they plan to make the postseason.
- PBT First Round Playoff Previews: Los Angeles Clippers vs. San Antonio Spurs 3
- Why the 2015 NBA playoffs feel wide open – but probably shouldn’t 2
- PBT Extra: Houston, Dallas simply do not like each other 3
- Sounds like Pacers president Larry Bird, head coach Frank Vogel don’t want Roy Hibbert back next year 21
- PBT staff playoff predictions: Lots of Golden State love from us 1
- PBT Extra: Injuries make Grizzlies, Trail Blazers series hard to predict 3
- PBT Extra: Will Spurs depth, versatility prove too much for Clippers? 10
- PBT Extra: Anthony Davis, Pelicans made playoffs. Will they get a fifth game vs. Warriors? 7