Oct 9, 2013, 8:00 AM EDT
The basketball gods continue to torment Portland, for reasons unknown.
Reports surfaced Tuesday afternoon that Portland’s Nicolas Batum had left practice after a hard fall — he had gone up for a dunk that was contested by Will Barton and ended up hitting the deck. However, it can be hard to read too much into that during the preseason as teams are cautious right now.
However the team announced later in the day that Batum suffered a concussion and would be out Wednesday against Phoenix for sure.
This means Batum has to go through the league’s concussion protocol, where he has to pass some neurological tests and get both the approval of a team doctor and an okay from a league-appointed doctor. It could be days, it could be weeks, nobody knows.
This latest injury seems to fit with the theme of the Blazers training camp, notes Chris Haynes at CSNNW.com.
LaMarcus Aldridge sustained a quad injury, Mo Williams sprained his ankle, Will Barton received a concussion, Dorell Wright dislocated his right middle finger, Earl Watson suffered a calf contusion and the worst one of them all, CJ McCollum broke his left foot.
It’s been hard times.
Hopefully for the Blazers that changes when the season begins, because they don’t have much of a lot of margin for error in a deep West if they plan to make the postseason.
- PBT Extra with NBASavant.com: Cleveland may want to cover Curry in the left corner 2
- It’s official: Scott Skiles hired as head coach of Orlando Magic 23
- PBT Podcast: Talking Thibodeau/Bulls divorce; future for Rockets, Hawks 0
- Warriors’ Klay Thompson officially diagnosed with concussion 20
- Klay Thompson should not have been cleared to return to Game 5 after concussion evaluation 15
- Dwight Howard suspended one game after foul switcheroo 18
- Three coaches who may replace Tom Thibodeau in Chicago 15
- Report: Kevin Love going to “look around” this summer as free agent; Celtics, Lakers, Rockets possible 49