Oct 8, 2013, 10:03 AM EDT
We’ve talked about this at length at PBT and we haven’t even gotten to the Clippers season preview (patience, next week) — DeAndre Jordan is at the heart of the Clippers chances to really contend this season. That team is going to have one of the best (my guess is THE best) offense in the NBA but can they get stops?
Jordan has to be at the heart of a revised defense and he was his athletic self on Monday night with four blocks, which included this fantastic combination (he finished with 16 points and 8 boards in 21 minutes). Jordan’s athleticism is on display (and that has never been in question, the only center as athletic in the league is JaVale McGee). More importantly he made the right defensive plays.
Will the more consistent structure of a Doc Rivers defense be what Jordan needs to break out? (Last year under Vinny Del Negro the Clippers threw a lot of different looks at teams but were really the jack of all trades but masters of none.) The Clippers hope so. Don’t read too much into preseason but Monday was a nice first step.
- Wednesday NBA grades: Kevin Durant ends season exactly like you think he would 0
- Finally the NBA playoff match ups are set 29
- PBT Extra: Giving out MVP, end of season awards 5
- Report: Sale of Milwaukee Bucks for record $550 million agreed upon, team to stay in Milwaukee 38
- Playoff Chase: Seven meaningful games on final night of NBA season 17