Oct 8, 2013, 10:03 AM EDT
We’ve talked about this at length at PBT and we haven’t even gotten to the Clippers season preview (patience, next week) — DeAndre Jordan is at the heart of the Clippers chances to really contend this season. That team is going to have one of the best (my guess is THE best) offense in the NBA but can they get stops?
Jordan has to be at the heart of a revised defense and he was his athletic self on Monday night with four blocks, which included this fantastic combination (he finished with 16 points and 8 boards in 21 minutes). Jordan’s athleticism is on display (and that has never been in question, the only center as athletic in the league is JaVale McGee). More importantly he made the right defensive plays.
Will the more consistent structure of a Doc Rivers defense be what Jordan needs to break out? (Last year under Vinny Del Negro the Clippers threw a lot of different looks at teams but were really the jack of all trades but masters of none.) The Clippers hope so. Don’t read too much into preseason but Monday was a nice first step.
- Why the 2015 NBA playoffs feel wide open – but probably shouldn’t 0
- PBT Extra: Houston, Dallas simply do not like each other 1
- Sounds like Pacers president Larry Bird, head coach Frank Vogel don’t want Roy Hibbert back next year 20
- PBT staff playoff predictions: Lots of Golden State love from us 1
- PBT Extra: Injuries make Grizzlies, Trail Blazers series hard to predict 3
- PBT Extra: Will Spurs depth, versatility prove too much for Clippers? 10
- PBT Extra: Anthony Davis, Pelicans made playoffs. Will they get a fifth game vs. Warriors? 6
- Rumor: LaMarcus Aldridge more likely to leave Trail Blazers in free agency than people realize 23