Oct 8, 2013, 1:57 AM EDT
In the Pelicans first preseason game, big summer free agent signing Tyreke Evans went down with a sprained ankle.
Not good. But apparently not THAT bad, reports Jason Reid of the Times-Picayune.
Pelicans GM Dell Demps said on tonight's radio broadcast that Tyreke Evans could be out one to two weeks, but should be ready by opener.—
John Reid (@JohnReid64) October 08, 2013
That’s pretty standard recovery time for your garden variety ankle sprain.
New Orleans signed Evans to a four-year, $44 million deal this summer that was certainly a gamble but seemed a good one. They have an All-Star point guard in Jrue Holiday, they have a potential star big man in Anthony Davis (who has looked strong in the preseason), they have Eric Gordon at the two and Evans was going to play the wing (he can start at the three or come off the bench).
The good news is he should be able to do that this season. Expect Pelicans coach Monty Williams to spend a lot of the early part of the season really playing with lineups, seeing what works and letting the guys learn each other. Evans will be back in time for that, in time for the games that matter.
- Durant says 2014 USA team better than 2010 version that won gold 4
- Kevin Durant knows you’re talking about his free agency but isn’t giving many clues. He liked what LeBron did. 16
- Byron Scott makes ridiculous optimism sound reasonable 40
- Derrick Rose told Carmelo Anthony that if he came to Chicago “the game would be easy” 40
- LeBron James strips on stage, throws clothes into crowd (video) 23
- Is DeMarcus Cousins the big man Team USA can lean on? 19
- Lakers make it official — finally — and hire Byron Scott as head coach 13
- Derrick Rose: “I’ve become a smarter player, but I’m mad it took me seven years to learn it.” 29