Oct 8, 2013, 12:03 PM EDT
Nobody knows for sure, but the phrase “going the whole hog” most likely comes from butchers back in the day when pork was king in America trying to convince people it was less expensive to buy an entire animal’s worth of meat not just pick the parts they wanted.
Yes, that means exactly what you think it means. They teamed with Lakers conditioning coach Tim DiFrancesco to buy an entire cow… and not as a pet, as Dave McMenamin reports at ESPNLosAngeles.com.
DiFrancesco, who has picked up the nickname “Grass-Fed Tim” around the team because of his belief in the health benefits of eating grass-fed beef, came up with the idea after connecting with a farm that raises grass-fed cows down in San Diego.
Kaman is getting half, 200 pounds, while Sacre and DiFrancesco are getting a quarter, 100 pounds, each…
“I had to go to a Best Buy to go buy me a 15 cubic foot freezer,” said Sacre, who estimated that the freezer and the beef will end up costing him about $1,300 combined. “It’s, uh, it’s intense.”
Good luck getting Steve Nash to go in on this next time. Now, if you were buying a green tea leaf farm…
I’m a grass-fed beef fan but not just because it has not steroids or antibiotics — I buy it because it tastes better. However I purchase small amounts, not “I need a new freezer” levels of beef.
Does it help Sacre and Kaman stay healthier? They swear by it — but remember they are professional athletes paid to stay in shape.
“I dropped from six [percent body fat] to three,” said Sacre, who was a second-round pick with a nonguaranteed contract just trying to make the team when he started working with DiFrancesco. “I really find myself having more energy and really always feel healthier and haven’t been sick that much.”
- No Durant, what does that mean for Thunder in these playoffs? Trouble. 1
- Kevin Durant to have third foot surgery; is done for season, playoffs 27
- Goran Dragic leading feisty Heat’s playoff push 24
- NBA Draft prospect matchups to watch in NCAA Tourament this weekend 2
- Report: LeBron James frustrated with Kevin Love for not fitting in 85
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Wednesday: Kevin Love seems to be fitting in just fine suddenly 4
- It’s official: Dwight Howard will return to Rockets’ lineup Wednesday 2
- Dwyane Wade on MVP race: “I would say James Harden” 26