Oct 8, 2013, 12:03 PM EDT
Nobody knows for sure, but the phrase “going the whole hog” most likely comes from butchers back in the day when pork was king in America trying to convince people it was less expensive to buy an entire animal’s worth of meat not just pick the parts they wanted.
Yes, that means exactly what you think it means. They teamed with Lakers conditioning coach Tim DiFrancesco to buy an entire cow… and not as a pet, as Dave McMenamin reports at ESPNLosAngeles.com.
DiFrancesco, who has picked up the nickname “Grass-Fed Tim” around the team because of his belief in the health benefits of eating grass-fed beef, came up with the idea after connecting with a farm that raises grass-fed cows down in San Diego.
Kaman is getting half, 200 pounds, while Sacre and DiFrancesco are getting a quarter, 100 pounds, each…
“I had to go to a Best Buy to go buy me a 15 cubic foot freezer,” said Sacre, who estimated that the freezer and the beef will end up costing him about $1,300 combined. “It’s, uh, it’s intense.”
Good luck getting Steve Nash to go in on this next time. Now, if you were buying a green tea leaf farm…
I’m a grass-fed beef fan but not just because it has not steroids or antibiotics — I buy it because it tastes better. However I purchase small amounts, not “I need a new freezer” levels of beef.
Does it help Sacre and Kaman stay healthier? They swear by it — but remember they are professional athletes paid to stay in shape.
“I dropped from six [percent body fat] to three,” said Sacre, who was a second-round pick with a nonguaranteed contract just trying to make the team when he started working with DiFrancesco. “I really find myself having more energy and really always feel healthier and haven’t been sick that much.”
- PBT Extra: Stephen Curry starting to have his defining playoff moments 0
- Behind 32 points from Kawhi Leonard, Spurs rout Clippers to take 2-1 series lead 8
- The Truth (and Marcin Gortat) will set Washington free, up 3-0 on Toronto after win 2
- James Harden scores 42 points to lead Rockets to Game 3 win, 3-0 series lead over Mavericks 15
- Why can’t the Pelicans foul in a timely manner? 7
- PBT Extra: No Rajon Rondo, no Chandler Parsons, Dallas is in trouble vs. Houston 6
- Stephen Curry drops 40, leads 20-point comeback as Warriors beat Pelicans in OT, take 3-0 series lead 10
- Stephen Curry hits ridiculous corner three to force OT (VIDEO) 18